Looking for gun sight info...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cvairwerks

Senior Airman
Mar 20, 2020
North Texas
I've been looking off and on for a couple of years now for any info on the A-9 sight post and the L-2 sight ring for the AN-M2 .30 cal aerial gun. Neither are listed in the copy of the Army-Navy Index of Aeronautical Equipment dated March 1944, and I haven't found an earlier copy that might list them. I haven't even either sight piece for sale in that time. I'd like to find a listing for them, or even better, someone that has either one that can give me necessary measurements to build them for my Fairchild project.

All: I did manage to find some photos this morning of an L-2 sight. Looks to be a standard wire right set up with a fully adjustable base for windage and elevation.

Greyman: I'd have to see photos to seed if they are the same or similar.
ThomasP: That website appears to be down, as I couldn't reach it either.
GrauGeist: Didn't find anything close with that search terminology.

I've got a few feelers out to some people that are more knowledgeable on the subject than I. Will see what they come back with, when I get responses.

GrauGeist: Didn't find anything close with that search terminology.
I went to the image search and rephrased the search words to "Browning M1919 L-2 sight ring" and got this right off:
Aircraft Machine Gun Sight. Type L-2 For ANM2 .30 Caliber USGI (Original) | #1900782873

aircraft-machine-gun-sight-type-2_1_8ade63e4ed3853ae7a86ba7408d0d48a.jpg

Looks close to what you're looking for, perhaps?

GrauGeist: That's one of the photos that I came across too. Unfortunately, the series of photos it's part of, doesn't show a part number that I could see, so to verify it's an L-2. I've reached out to someone that has a large collection of sights to see if he has any info available. I've bookmarked another page that has some general dimensions, so it's a start at least. Always greatfull for any assistance.

Hi , that's me with the large collection on Facebook.
Unfortunately I dont have an example of these , but i do have this info from my Aviation Ordinance manual May 1944.
Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 347BCD5C-A0BA-4326-B010-9A6A06DE2F21.jpeg
    347BCD5C-A0BA-4326-B010-9A6A06DE2F21.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
  • D5732392-039F-4CC1-B230-977E2B193735.jpeg
    D5732392-039F-4CC1-B230-977E2B193735.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Gunsights: Thanks a ton for the two pages. They are a huge help. I think I know where there is an L-2 for sale, but I cringe a little when it's listed as "Call for price"....lol. Between the photos and the catalog pages, I think I can work this part of the restoration out without too much trouble. I need to get my oldest a jump start on running CAD and get some drawings done for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back