Machine gun Identification

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IceSpitfire

Recruit
Mar 3, 2009
I came across this piece recently. It is in .303 caliber. The story from the old man was that it was salvaged from side hatch of an airplaine wreck. I am trying to find out from what kind of airplaine this machine gun could have been used in. I have been searching online but i can not find any RAF airplaines with side hatch only top or back turrets. Can you tell if this one was wingmounted or for turret? The old guy said it used to have pistol grip but I am not sure if his memory is so fresh anymore. Please let me know if you have any information you would like to share.

Regards Ice

P.S did this kind of aircraft machine gun have flashhider?

356950586.gif

356950592.gif

356950581.gif

G'day Ice,

Looks like a .30 cal. M2 Browning machine gun to me, many of which were modified to British .303 in (7.7 mm) calibre for use in early RAF fighters and bombers, including Spitfires, Hurricanes, and Wellingtons, etc.

In this case I think you're looking at a flexible hand fired weapon, judging by the attached mounting, in which case it would have been fitted with a pistol grip as your dad said.

The 'side hatch' he mentioned may refer to a beam position in a Wellington bomber or Sunderland flying boat, but looking at the mount I have a sneaking suspicion it was mounted in a scarf ring (although I would associate such positions with a 7.7 mm Vickers K rather than a Browning). Maybe someone else can shed more light on the subject.

(I would highly doubt use of a flash hider by the way)

Evan

Thank you for your reply Evan I appreciate it, has anyone other here seen a mounting like this?

No worries mate! I'd be interested myself to see if anyone can explain that mount, or identify the aircraft.

its a colt comercial mg40 in 30-06 or 7mm .
where are you located?
pablo:lol:

Attachments

• camisa mg40.JPG
    camisa mg40.JPG
    800.9 KB · Views: 138

Users who are viewing this thread

Back