Machine gun Identification

Discussion in 'Weapons Systems Tech.' started by IceSpitfire, Mar 4, 2009.

1. IceSpitfire

IceSpitfire New Member

I came across this piece recently. It is in .303 caliber. The story from the old man was that it was salvaged from side hatch of an airplaine wreck. I am trying to find out from what kind of airplaine this machine gun could have been used in. I have been searching online but i can not find any RAF airplaines with side hatch only top or back turrets. Can you tell if this one was wingmounted or for turret? The old guy said it used to have pistol grip but I am not sure if his memory is so fresh anymore. Please let me know if you have any information you would like to share.

Regards Ice

P.S did this kind of aircraft machine gun have flashhider?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. A4K

A4K Well-Known Member

G'day Ice,

Looks like a .30 cal. M2 Browning machine gun to me, many of which were modified to British .303 in (7.7 mm) calibre for use in early RAF fighters and bombers, including Spitfires, Hurricanes, and Wellingtons, etc.

In this case I think you're looking at a flexible hand fired weapon, judging by the attached mounting, in which case it would have been fitted with a pistol grip as your dad said.

The 'side hatch' he mentioned may refer to a beam position in a Wellington bomber or Sunderland flying boat, but looking at the mount I have a sneaking suspicion it was mounted in a scarf ring (although I would associate such positions with a 7.7 mm Vickers K rather than a Browning). Maybe someone else can shed more light on the subject.

(I would highly doubt use of a flash hider by the way)

Evan

3. IceSpitfire

IceSpitfire New Member

Thank you for your reply Evan I appreciate it, has anyone other here seen a mounting like this?

4. A4K

A4K Well-Known Member

No worries mate! I'd be interested myself to see if anyone can explain that mount, or identify the aircraft.

5. pablo50cal

pablo50cal New Member

its a colt comercial mg40 in 30-06 or 7mm .
    where are you located?
    pablo:lol:

Attached Files: