Markings 480th Anti-submarine group

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi all,

Maxwell was a contributor to Schoenfeld's book - his story runs on pages 113-115. While the combat itself is fleshed out a bit more, there's no additional detail of which B-24 was involved or lost.

Cheers,

Dana

I went "deep down" in the archives and found something interesting (to be honest I didn't know I have it!). It's a USAF Historical Study called: "The Antisubmarine Command". Those historical studies were free for download from a site that doesn't exist anymore. I have mine since 2006.
vUKDOAh.jpg

One of the many tables in the book is this:
puOSHiP.jpg

"Our case" is second from the top. Unfortunately there are no details about the a/c. The most interesting part is on the right side:
06eUMWq.jpg

In the first column are damages sustained -interesting details indeed. They might be very helpful when composing the picture/painting: engines 3 and 4 shot, big holes in the wings, right wing afire, top turet shot etc. Last sentence is : "Lost a/c after ditching." Which means (for me at least) that none of the a/cs mentioned above could be the one used during the attack, to receive kill markings later. Or the a/c was not lost but repaired somehow.:rolleyes:
On the right side of the table are listed the supporting documents. I can't make anything of them for now. Dana, what about you? Or anybody else?
And the last document I found (this one is from Fold3) shows all 3 (or 4) Condors shot down by the 1.BS/480.BG in August 1943. The a/c used on Aug.17 is not identified. Maxwell flew plane "C" a month earlier. Could this be the same a/c used on August 17?
P.S. from Dec.31, 2020 The document below shows that Plane "C" from the Second Anti-submarine squadron (?!?) was damaged on July 31., 1943. It seems strange that both squadrons (First and Second) used the same letters for their a/cs. In fact this is a mistake (typo?) in the document. I found a narrative with the information that in fact plane "O" was the one from the 2-nd ASS and not "C". It is quite possible that Maxwell was flying plane "C"on August 17.
tOfhiXk.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
This is a photo of my father's plane. He was assigned to the 480th in North Africa. The name is "Sub Mission", a clever play on words. Contact me as I have many records of his flights during his time in theater.

Would like to contact you concerning your records you have of 480th Anti Submarine.
Grandfather, William O Watts 2nd Squadron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back