Martin JM-1P Marauder

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ReccePhreak

Airman
Feb 10, 2008
NW Florida
I build models of photo-reconnaissance aircraft, and I want to build a model of a Martin JM-1P Marauder. I have searched online, and all I come up with is the same, repeated info: JM-1Ps were modified JM-1s for photographic missions.
Does anybody have any firm info (drawings or photos would be GREAT) on where the cameras camera windows/ports were located? A REAL plus would be a photo of an actual JM-1P, showing the markings, so I could model it.
Thanks in advance,
Larry

Try this site, b26.com , they should be able to help !
Good luck!!!!!
P.S. if you woud like any JM-1 unit patches to go with your model , I make leather types and have images of these units emblems to work from ,
Johnny
[email protected]

I build models of photo-reconnaissance aircraft, and I want to build a model of a Martin JM-1P Marauder. I have searched online, and all I come up with is the same, repeated info: JM-1Ps were modified JM-1s for photographic missions.
Does anybody have any firm info (drawings or photos would be GREAT) on where the cameras camera windows/ports were located? A REAL plus would be a photo of an actual JM-1P, showing the markings, so I could model it.
Thanks in advance,
Larry
Larry,
Did you ever get answers to your question on the JM-1P? Photo-recce is also one of my major interests. Current plans: PR Hurris and Hudsons, Saint-Exupery's F-5 and the JM-1P. The only photo of the latter I know of may be found on Bing Images, copyright USN aerofiles.com, showing a JM-1P in mid-war 3-color scheme. On the nose, in white, are what I think is the 'last three' of the BuNo: "78?". Last number hidden by cowling, wooden ya know! The BuNo range would be 66780-66789 (10 A/C), which narrows the research range considerably. Joe Baugher's website gives the ranges for all JM-1s, 225 aircraft, also places with aircraft cards, I'm hoping the Navy History center could help, if they only have to pull ten cards. If any of these were converted to -1P configuration, I'm sure it would be noted on the card.
All the best, John G.

If I understand what is on the internet correctly, all JM-1's were unarmed and never saw combat. So the few JM-1P's would have been Stateside trainers perhaps? If this is the case, I'm not sure there would be any special markings other than the typical Stateside Training markings we see on most JM-1's.
http://www.b26.com/img/misc/martin_b26_marauder_specifications.pdf

Not sure if this is a -1P or not, but it is the only Tri-color JM-1 that I have come across. Would be in the 66595/66794 range (perhaps 6676? or 6678?).
martin-jm1.jpg

Last edited:
Larry,
Did you ever get answers to your question on the JM-1P? Photo-recce is also one of my major interests. Current plans: PR Hurris and Hudsons, Saint-Exupery's F-5 and the JM-1P. The only photo of the latter I know of may be found on Bing Images, copyright USN aerofiles.com, showing a JM-1P in mid-war 3-color scheme. On the nose, in white, are what I think is the 'last three' of the BuNo: "78?". Last number hidden by cowling, wooden ya know! The BuNo range would be 66780-66789 (10 A/C), which narrows the research range considerably. Joe Baugher's website gives the ranges for all JM-1s, 225 aircraft, also places with aircraft cards, I'm hoping the Navy History center could help, if they only have to pull ten cards. If any of these were converted to -1P configuration, I'm sure it would be noted on the card.
All the best, John G.
Hi John,
Thanks for the reply. No, I never got any answers to my questions, which is not surprising as photo-recce aircraft are not a popular subject. Since most PR aircraft were unarmed, they couldn't shoot down enemy aircraft and the pilots couldn't become aces. That, apparently, is what most model builders are interested in. Even if I got a confirmed photo and/or marking info on a JM-1P, without real info on the camera location(s), I can't really build a model of one.
You mentioned the Navy History Center as being helpful in research. I went to the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola years back, trying to do research on the JM-1P, along with other naval recce aircraft (TBM-1CP, TBM-3P, SBD-2P & others). The "researchers" there started pulling out copies of Squadron's "Aircraft In Action" books. I realized then that they would be of ZERO help and eventually gave up.
Heck, even many of the surviving reconnaissance aircraft have been "modified" back into a fighter or bomber version, so they could paint it up as a "hero" plane. And that is not just people who own warbirds, it's also the USAF Museum, the Naval Air Museum, and other worldwide museums. The ONLY place I could do serious research into recce aircraft was the San Diego Air & Space Museum. But even they were limited on the material they had in storage.
There used to be model conversion companies (Cutting Edge, Airwaves, True Details, etc) who actually made resin conversions for recce aircraft, but there hasn't been anything released recently, and the 2 of the 3 I mentioned are LONG out of business.
Sorry for the depressing ramble, but I have pretty much given up hope on finding enough info on the JM-1P that would allow me to build an accurate model of one.
Larry

Hi Larry,

If you happen to be in the DC area (once all this virus stuff has passed) you might spend a day at the National Archives II (College Park, MD). Record Group 72 (BuAer records) Series NM-52 62-B has eleven archives boxes on the technical history of the JM-1. (You should pull boxes 4515 to 4525.) I can't guarantee your -1P material will be there, but that's the single best place to look. You can bring a computer and flat surface scanner to copy whatever you find.

In the past, looking at other aircraft, I've found records of which aircraft received a modification, drawings of the mod, and photos. Again, there are great mods for which I've found nothing, but you'll probably enjoy your day anyhow!

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Dana,
Thanks for the informative reply. I don't know when I will be able to visit Washington DC, the last time I was there was 1980. I will keep a note of the places you say to look, just in case I can get there someday.
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back