eBay: Martin PBM Mariner

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Martin Mariner : pic from US Air Services April 1942 :

Martin Mariner from US Air Services April 1942.jpg

Last edited:
I have been reading about WWII since I was a 9 year old kid, starting about 1970. I can't remember ever seeing a picture of a PBM with a radome until I was an adult. Of the pictures in this thread, the majority of them are planes without a radome. Of the older pictures of planes wiht a radome - the angle is shot so the radome either is not showing or is not clearly visible. I still have a hunch that there was a restriction on pictures showing the radome for at least part of the war even if the device was not strictly classified.

A question for those who can remember their aerodynamic sources. The PBM, third pic down nose, shows engine cowling with eye lid. I first read of this mod years ago reading DC-3 histories as a cure for elevator turbulence when landing (nose high) with Wright Cyclones engines due to their larger diameter. It seems in a nose up, slow speed attitude hot air spilled out over the top of the cowling. I had not seen this eye lid on other types, not DC-3 aircraft, until on this forum, there was another aircraft (can't remember which or where) and now this PBM. Did this hot air turbulence occur with other aircraft types?

A question for those who can remember their aerodynamic sources. The PBM, third pic down nose, shows engine cowling with eye lid. I first read of this mod years ago reading DC-3 histories as a cure for elevator turbulence when landing (nose high) with Wright Cyclones engines due to their larger diameter. It seems in a nose up, slow speed attitude hot air spilled out over the top of the cowling. I had not seen this eye lid on other types, not DC-3 aircraft, until on this forum, there was another aircraft (can't remember which or where) and now this PBM. Did this hot air turbulence occur with other aircraft types?
TMNaDWZ.jpg

From all PBM-models only the PBM-1 (see above) had this "eye lid" installed. 20 PBM-1 have been manufactured and all received the Wright Cyclone R-2600-6 engines. The next models PBM-3, 3C, 3R, 3S had R-2600-12 engines and PBM-3D had R 2600-22 engines. Compare PBM-1 engine with PBM-3 in the background:
XFb468X.jpg

The reason for those eye lids you describe is interesting, but probably it was not very effective :rolleyes:. I personally have no idea.
Some of the later models used in the Pacific and in the Southern Atlantic received cooling fans on their engines:
H2tHrIU.jpg

PBM engine fan.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
I was reading over at www.uboat.net, and I was surprised that their page on the PBM listed 0 uboat sinkings. In comparison, the PBY was credit with 38 sinkings, the Short Sunderland had 26, and the B-24 was credited with 72. Maybe this is an omission at Uboat.net because Key Aero credits the PBM with sinking 10 uboats. (7 amazing facts about the Martin PBM Mariner)

I was reading over at www.uboat.net, and I was surprised that their page on the PBM listed 0 uboat sinkings. In comparison, the PBY was credit with 38 sinkings, the Short Sunderland had 26, and the B-24 was credited with 72. Maybe this is an omission at Uboat.net because Key Aero credits the PBM with sinking 10 uboats. (7 amazing facts about the Martin PBM Mariner)
I believe the differences between the articles about PBM and PBY e.g. are based on the source of the article: IMHO those were copied from Internet (check the Sources) and do not contain the exact same type of information. This doesn't mean at all Mariners were not involved in U-boat sinkings. If you check the site thoroughly you'll find all of those listed.
From Uboat.net:
U-161 Sunk on 27 September 1943 in the South Atlantic east of Salvador da Bahia, Brazil, in position 12.30S, 35.35W, by depth charges from a US Mariner aircraft (VP-74 USN/P-2). 53 dead (all hands lost).
Check here for some photos of the aircraft from another site (Uboatarchive.net)
U-513 Sunk on 19 July 1943 in the South Atlantic south-east of São Francisco do Sul, Brazil, in position 27.17S, 47.32W, by depth charges from a US Mariner aircraft (VP-74 USN/P-3). 46 dead and 7 survivors.
U-572 Sunk on 3 August 1943 in the North Atlantic north-east of Trinidad, in position 11.35N, 54.05W, by depth charges from a US Mariner aircraft (VP-205 USN/P-6). 47 dead (all hands lost).

And so on.
If you want to have all cases in one source I'll suggest "The fighting Flying Boat" by Richard A. Hoffman - an amazing book about an amazing plane.
516DMAD7Z6L.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back