MAYDAY.....1/48 Skyriader wingfold!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
No, I'm not starting to build a Skyraider right now.... But, what I'm looking for is Cutting Edge's 1/48 Douglas Skyraider wingfold set. Where can I find it, CAN I still find it after Meteor Productions closed down in February? Was/is it the best one to get for the Skyraider?

Just spent about 2 hours searching every avenue for ANY wing-fold kit for a Skyraider, without luck! You don't suppose you could adapt the wing-fold from the Airfix Buccaneer do you? Just a thought, 'cos I've got a part-built Buc, and haven't decided on fold or not fold. If you think it could form the basis, you're welcome to the parts, but I realise it's a long shot!
Looks like you might be down to using brass wire, plastic strip card. That's what I'm going to do on the old Hobbycraft Sea Fury, when I get round to starting on it again!
BTW, did you have any success with finding the Tamiya paints?

Yeah, thanks mate! They had everything except a few. So, I sent them an email to see if they could deliver the rest as well....

As you say, using the Buccaneer (beautiful machine as well) is maybe a long shot.... I've seen that Airwaves have some sort of wingfold for the Skyraider, but I think that one demand a lot more work than the Cutting Edge's does...

Appreciate the offer though!

Possible you will have to have it scratch built.The Skyraider in 1/48 is a big model and there shouldn't be any problems with this correction.My 1/72 scale Revell kit is waiting for assembling and looking at its wings I thought I could make it easily

Fingers crossed and all that my friend....I doubt that I'd be able to scratch build the wingfold, not just yet anyway...

Airframes....I'd build that Buccaneer with the wings folded. 8)

I agree with Wojtek, should be, well...not too difficult to do. Have you got any drawings/pics of the wing-fold layout? I think that Scale Aircraft Modelling covered the Skyraider in one of their 'In Detail' articles years ago, and I've got most issues since about 1982(!), so I'll trawl through them and try to find it, if you think it might help.

I don't know about Wojtek, but I have a few books on the Skyraider, some still in Sweden, but I do have the Squadron Signal A-1 Skyraider Walk Around here...

Oh, well, that should cover you for details of the fold then. And yes, I think your right, when I get around to continuing with the Buc, I think I will have the wings folded. I've sort of been putting it off for about 18 months (had the kit since '95!) because of the awkward fuselage section joints on the Airfix kit. Also need to scratch-build a new control column, as the kit one is more 1/32 than 1/48th scale! It will all have to wait until I finish my paintings and the diorama guide though.

Users who are viewing this thread