Me 110 today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice to see, although I can already see that the exhausts are too high; how is the new cowl going to incorporate those? I would have thought that having a genuine Bf 109G would have made the decision to paint the Buchon in Spanish colours easier. I see a Mohawk in the background, is that the museum's?

The Mohawk belongs to the musuem. It is a bit historic as the serial number is 2 (started life with a single tail).

The museum's Bf 109 G-6 belongs to the musuem. The decision was the museum's. Their decision was that the Hispano would be an airshow / movie airplane and the main difference that is apparent to the viewing public is the lower cowling. So, it will look a LOT more like a Bf 109 cowling than a cowling from a Buchon. Some things were relocated and redesigned to help eliminate the characteristic Buchon cowl-belly. They DID have a plan to turn it into a low-exhausrt unit, but the time ran out for the movie and it is very nearly finished now, so going back and doing the low exhaust at this late date will probably be a non-starter as an event.

The issue with the Bf 109 is a spare engine. Anybody had a spare DB 605? We don't! We have a lot of other spares, but not that one.

All decisions by the museum board of directors, and all are experienced at aviation things. I'm just a volunteer. I have some time on the Ha.1112 restoration, but not a lot in the kitty compared with the guys who did most of the work. The main team has been Bert Bruckmann and George Orff. I help out when they ask, and that happens once in awhile, usually when I wander over and ask if they need anything.

It was never difficult to hold Vy in a Cessna 172 or 182, but a B-575 might be a bit different! Ya' think?
Back in the mid 90s, rode in a stuffed-to-the-gills NW 75 BOS to SMF (Sacramento). Upon reaching top of second segment climb, when the deck angle usually relents a little and takeoff power comes back to climb power, we stayed at full roar and VYSE pitch attitude all the way to our cruising level in the high 30s. (Do you realize how STEEP that is in a 75?) Full cabin, full baggage, and fueled for non-stop, bucking the jet stream, with SEA as alternate, and no step climb. Now that's a hot rod! We were deplaning when the Delta 75 that took off ahead of us in BOS taxiied past on the way to the gate.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
All I know for sure is there is a very large weight difference between a C-172 and a B-757! It might be EASY to hold Vy since it has a very good power to weight ratio. but I don't know for sure as I'm not an airline pilot and have only fown a professional MD-80 simulator once (I DID manage to roll it without crashing, the simulated passengers didn't seem to care ...).

Last edited:
I think it's more that it is a replica. A very well done one. Just like the replica 190 in Sinsheim. You can't tell it is a replica, and has original parts in it, but it is not restoration of an actual 190 with a Werk Nummer.

Therefore it is not included in the registry of original aircraft.

An acft does not have to be in an official museum to be counted as original. There are dozens of original warbirds all over the US and Europe in private collections.

Here is a list of known original Bf 110's around the world, including the two restored complete ones in England and Germany.

Preserved Axis Aircraft

I have investigated some and it seems you're right. The reason the Danish 110 is not registered is that it has been put together by parts from different planes.

Hans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back