ME-163 Komet lights?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MrSmoothie

Airman
Jan 21, 2019
Can anybody confirm what I believe are lights (teardrop fairing) on the undersides of the ME-163 Komet fuselage? They appear to be amber on both sides in the photos I took at the Air Force Museum. They also appear to be amber lights in the restored Paul Allen example. On other survivors, they just look like small air scoops, but I suspect that's simply the absence of a lens.

Would they indeed be amber? Purpose?

Thanks in advance!

Messerschmitt-Me-163-B-1-Komet-14.jpgIMG_4087.JPG

Hi Mr Smoothie, it's not a light, but an air intake covered by a mesh fairing. It looks as if it goes into the gun bays and is in a slightly different location on each side.

http://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/warbirds/messerschmitt-me-163-komet?lightbox=dataItem-iol4hg78

Wow, I wouldn't have figured that out in a million years. Thank you! I wonder if what I'm seeing as "amber" is actually just rusted screen?
I'm in the final stages of a 60" RC Komet and if you're going to add details, it's nice to "get 'em right"! I've looked at a ton of "walkaround" sites and nowhere did I see a view like teh one you found.

"and is in a slightly different location on each side. "

I'm glad you pointed that out -- I'd have missed it. I checked more than one plane, and the part is further aft on the port side on all of them. Again, my thanks!

No worries, Mr Smoothie. That photo I found I took myself. That walkaround site that the image is from is mine, so feel free to reference it. The Komet pics were taken during the days of 35mm film, so aren't the best quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back