Me 262 armored headrest

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JonCOlsen

Airman 1st Class
Mar 14, 2015
Hello,

Does anyone happen to have good reference photos or diagrams of the armored headrests that a small number of Me 262s had? And does anyone know how it was attached to the canopy frame and whether there were any variations of the design?

The Me 262 in the pictures attached is equipped with an armored headrest, and it appears that the top of the headrest has an attachment that joins it to the top of the canopy.

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 4E035B3C-943B-4A72-8BFC-4AFF3C694B91.jpeg
    4E035B3C-943B-4A72-8BFC-4AFF3C694B91.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 30
  • D6190EC7-F323-43A2-A8C1-875F6FF4A44C.jpeg
    D6190EC7-F323-43A2-A8C1-875F6FF4A44C.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 30
There were at least 2 different arrangements for the pilot headrest armour.

One setup was very similar to the setup used in some of the Me109, with the plate attached to the back of the seat at a near vertical angle and had the upper ~1/3 curve forward a bit above the pilot's head. Apparently the armour plate attached to the back of the pilot's seat made it difficult to bail out.

The other had a similar plate but it was attached to the canopy at the top, and at the bottom to a cross bar that ran from one side of the lower canopy to the other. This meant that when the canopy was jettisoned the armour plate went with it - this eliminated the bail out problem. This type was also used on the Me109. I think this is the one you are referring to?

Me262_130 canopy.jpg

Me262_131 canopy.jpg

Me262_132 canopy.jpg

Last edited:
Thomas, this is exactly what I was looking for..thank you so much! :)

We have a Me-262 in the RAF Midlands Museum @ Cosford. If you need photos of the seat please let me know.

From memory the armour plate extends upwards from behind the pilots seat on this example

Hi Rod,

Thank you so much! That would be awesome. :)

Hey Rodd1951,

Please post a couple of them in the forum if you could. It would be much appreciated.

Hi Rod,

Thank you so much! That would be awesome. :)
Hi Jon,
I will see what I can do Tuesday when I'm next in the Museum.
In the meantime here is one I have already on file - sorry it has my mate Rob sat in the seat but you can see the armouring behind him OK.
Let me know if there is a specific detail or are you want
Cheers
Rodd

Attachments

• 2007 Me-262 Rob edwards in the Cockpit.jpg
    2007 Me-262 Rob edwards in the Cockpit.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
Hi Jon,
I will see what I can do Tuesday when I'm next in the Museum.
In the meantime here is one I have already on file - sorry it has my mate Rob sat in the seat but you can see the armouring behind him OK.
Let me know if there is a specific detail or are you want
Cheers
Rodd
I don't believe your photo shows an original armoured headrest. Perhaps made by the museum at some point?

1971 - Me-262A-2A Schwalbe (112372) Aircraft Pictures & Photos - AirTeamImages.com
1989 - Messerschmitt Me-262A-2a (112372) Aircraft Pictures & Photos - AirTeamImages.com

de25994022a905eb4333e679570c6675.jpg
0cb1f132bcbe2fefb5f787fa425b71c2.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm!! that canopy with the armour built in must have been hard to hinge out of the way in an emergency,

Having struggled to slide the canopy on our FW-190 with its armoured headrest I understood why it had an explosive charge to shatter it in an emergency and let the slipstream do the rest.

I don't believe your photo shows an original armoured headrest. Perhaps made by the museum at some point?

1971 - Me-262A-2A Schwalbe (112372) Aircraft Pictures & Photos - AirTeamImages.com
1989 - Messerschmitt Me-262A-2a (112372) Aircraft Pictures & Photos - AirTeamImages.com

View attachment 708844View attachment 708845
Hi Mjfur,
Yes you may well be right, as you know this aircraft has been taken apart and moved around many times from RAF base to RAF base etc. and then backwards and forwards between the two museum locations, I will try get access to the AP's and see if anything is written up in there.
R

Hi Mjfur,
Yes you may well be right, as you know this aircraft has been taken apart and moved around many times from RAF base to RAF base etc. and then backwards and forwards between the two museum locations, I will try get access to the AP's and see if anything is written up in there.
R
ps - Have you got a good photo of a real 'fixed' armoured headrest so I can comapre?
Thanks
R

If you mean "fixed" to the seat back, that didn't exist. The photo's in Post #2 & #9 show how it was installed. It was bolted to the canopy.
Most pilots didn't like it, thought it restricted their rear visibility and that they were faster than the enemy and had it removed.

If you mean "fixed" to the seat back, that didn't exist. The photo's in Post #2 & #9 show how it was installed. It was bolted to the canopy.
Most pilots didn't like it, thought it restricted their rear visibility and that they were faster than the enemy and had it removed.
Yes that makes sense to remove it as nobody is going to creep up behind a 'Schwalbe' so you don't need it So yes maybe just a UK fabrication somewhere/sometime in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back