Meet George Jetson?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Several years ago I was walking my dog about a block from my house when a truck hauling a large boat passed by. I could see him trying to turn the corner at my house. He was trying to get to the marina but either turned down the wrong road or did not realize that the intersections are rather narrow. When I got back to the house I found my yard had been torn up by the truck. I went down to the marina, got the name of the company off the truck - it was in Long Island City - and sent them a letter telling them they were responsible and I wanted some money. I never heard back. So it's the drivers but it is the companies, too.

I've been lucky enough to not encounter another of that company's trucks on my travels; if I ever do, they may have some tire problems.

On the other hand, back in 2016 a drunk guy from Orlando ran his sister's pickup truck up my driveway, across my yard, and smashed a hole into my house. So the smaller vehicles can give even bigger problems if the drivers are even stupider.

Chris, no disagreement in substance it is just that drivers are expected and demanded to get loads from point A to Point B in EXACTLY XX number of hours. Too many lates and they are out of a job and that could have serious consequences for a family man. Then there are the independent drivers that own their rigs (actually the bank/company in many cases) they can make bonuses for early arrival and again a late delivery can mean that that company will not use that driver again.
Had a good friend that worked for United Van Lines. They trained him and "sold" him a new truck. They would then take 50% of every deliveries payout to cover the cost of the truck. THEN they would keep track of all his mileage. At XXX number of miles they would REQUIRE new tires or a tune up or an overhaul or they would no longer use him and then demand full payment on his account. Naturally they would do the work and charge his account. After 5 years of steady work he owed them more money than he did originally on day one. Just like the old coal miners that owed their souls to the Company store.
Then you have the Schn**der, W*rn*r, etc. Company drivers that have had one week of company training and are on the road. My brother-in-law drives for Y*ll*w. They run only teams and are thus expected to drive 24 hours straight.
It is not an easy way to make a living

Chris, no disagreement in substance it is just that drivers are expected and demanded to get loads from point A to Point B in EXACTLY XX number of hours. Too many lates and they are out of a job and that could have serious consequences for a family man. Then there are the independent drivers that own their rigs (actually the bank/company in many cases) they can make bonuses for early arrival and again a late delivery can mean that that company will not use that driver again.
Had a good friend that worked for United Van Lines. They trained him and "sold" him a new truck. They would then take 50% of every deliveries payout to cover the cost of the truck. THEN they would keep track of all his mileage. At XXX number of miles they would REQUIRE new tires or a tune up or an overhaul or they would no longer use him and then demand full payment on his account. Naturally they would do the work and charge his account. After 5 years of steady work he owed them more money than he did originally on day one. Just like the old coal miners that owed their souls to the Company store.
Then you have the Schn**der, W*rn*r, etc. Company drivers that have had one week of company training and are on the road. My brother-in-law drives for Y*ll*w. They run only teams and are thus expected to drive 24 hours straight.

And there are serious consequences, i.e. life or death with causing wreck due to careless and irresponsible driving,

Thats a common scam in the over the road trucking industry. Local like I do( sand and gravel) is alot different, thank God.
Makes me wonder why anyone does over the road. It seems to attract the reckless drivers also or maybe all the preasure turns them that way.

Chris, again absolute agreement BUT when it's your job and your family at stake the lines blur and then we have the good old - "IT CAN'T HAPPEN TO ME" syndrome.
My buddy Ray who just died was a gasoline tanker driver. The tanker was defective and Ray reported it. The company reply was "Take it or someone else will and you are fired". The tanker ruptured, caught on fire and Ray escaped but with some serious burns. Company reply - "Well he never reported it and if it was that bad he should have never taken it"
As always it's just a matter of the diameter of the helically wound wood intrusion device they use on you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back