Memories from 2008

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BarnOwlLover

Staff Sergeant
Nov 3, 2022
Mansfield, Ohio, USA
I sort of wanted to post some photos from an event that I went to at Mid-Ohio in 2008 before the Indy Car race that year that IMSA put on for the then American Le Mans Series (now Weathertech Sportscar Series). I sort of got a hair to do this because I managed to digitize a DVD that I thought was broken or corrupt for 15 years LOL, since it wouldn't work on the DVD player I had back then.

First, some misc. cars that took part in that race.

Mazda showcar that was later converted into the Furai protoype that was written off after a Top Gear test.

Actual Mazda-powered Lola that raced the previous day.

Penske Racing Porsche RS Spyder: Winner LMP2, third overall

Audi R10 show car

Ferrari F430 GT2

Corvette C6R GT1, second place finisher in GT1 (teammate was class winner)

Porsche 911 GT3 RSR GT2 car.

And what I really came to Mid Ohio for that day, not one but two Audi R10 LMP1 cars, that finished 1-2 in class and overall. Champion Racing/Audi Sport North America was the only multi-car team that ran in the race that had both cars that raced the previous day out before a downpour came.

Audi R10 #2, OA/LMP1 winner

#1 Audi R10, 2nd OA/LMP1

Almost everyone else's view for most of the race after about 15 minutes in until the finish.

If there's interest, I can post more photos later, including some R10 tech/detail photos.

A couple more pics before more Audi R10:

Acura ARX-01 (4th OA, 2nd LMP2)

Corvette 7.0 liter LS7 V8

Now R10 stuff

Tail section detail

Radiator duct/brake duct/front suspension shroud detail.

More of the above

Intercooler exit duct

Tail detail.

Nose detail.

Rear brake duct/turbo inlet.

Sidepod detail (including "remove before flight" ducting cover--it's that ball thing)

Cockpit details:

All the above photos show a steering wheel that was just used to move a static car around (ie, not intended to be run at the time). Here's an actual R10 steering wheel used in an actual race:

Other photos, including wheel and brake cooling drum details:

Even standing still they look ever so fast.

One on my bucket list is sitting next to a fast driver ( it can be done not on those machines offcourse, and yes a race driver...) and let him/her go flat out. I think i can take 3 rounds.
I will be giggling like a little girl from start, i am very sure of that.

I pay, sign a waver or what not. I am saving for this.

Its right there with going up with Fifi. That still undeafeated nr 1

Too bad we lost Sabine in 2021. You would have loved a trip around the 'Ring with her....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMoRJi1BgPU

Users who are viewing this thread