Merlin-powered ME 109

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy

Airman
Dec 27, 2006
England thought of what happened to Poland, and decided to support Finland against the Soviets. A peace treaty was signed with Germany. Germany attacked Russia. England and Germany began joint ventures. Rolls Royce made available the Merlin engine to Germany's aviation industry. Fuel injection was introduced to the Merlin. I thought it would be fun for our group to look into this arrangement. They threw the Hispano Suiza into the 109, what about the Merlin? If it was possible, and everything is basically, would it be too much of a rework to make it worthwhile? If the rework wouldn't be too bad, what advantages might shine through? Including fuel consumption. I could look it up, but I would like to see what this group comes up with.

England thought of what happened to Poland, and decided to support Finland against the Soviets. A peace treaty was signed with Germany. Germany attacked Russia. England and Germany began joint ventures. Rolls Royce made available the Merlin engine to Germany's aviation industry. Fuel injection was introduced to the Merlin. I thought it would be fun for our group to look into this arrangement. They threw the Hispano Suiza into the 109, what about the Merlin? If it was possible, and everything is basically, would it be too much of a rework to make it worthwhile? If the rework wouldn't be too bad, what advantages might shine through? Including fuel consumption. I could look it up, but I would like to see what this group comes up with.
It was called the Bouchon, they were used in the movie "Battle of Britain". Hispano Aviación HA-1112 - Wikipedia

The British knew about fuel injection, they didn't think it was worth the complication/added manufacturing expense. They may have been wrong.

They did know that the evaporation of fuel from the carburetor in the supercharger lowered the intake mixture temperature 25 degrees C and this allowed slighter denser intake air at the same pressure, it also allowed slightly more boost before hitting detonation limits.

There are a number of pluses and minuses just to fuel injection.
Other features may also have pluses and minuses.

British were probably right with the notion that fuel injection can add good deal to the manhours needed to produce a complete engine. What they were wrong was the notion that going with the obsolete carb type (the float-type) was good - it robbed the engine power via choking the air passage before air was to enter a supercharger; that was also killing the best part of benefits grated via rem air pressure. It also required carb heating in order for carb to not became clogged with ice. The pressure-injection carbs were probably the best compromise, a switch to such carb type gave 10 mph to a Spitfire V and 1500 ft to service ceiling, per British tests.

With all of this - install the best Merlin available on the Bf 109 and press on.

It was called the Bouchon, they were used in the movie "Battle of Britain". Hispano Aviación HA-1112 - Wikipedia

The trick would be fitting the physically longer (about 12 inches) two stage inter cooled Merlin 60 series into the Me 109. Bouchons only had single stage Merlins that offered only slight advantages over the DB605 but the two stage versions had a big advantage. From 1944 the appearance of water injection and or C3 fuel along with the appearance of better sparking plugs and other improvements allowed operation at over 1.8 bar. This almost closed the hp gap were it not for the appearance of 110/150 allied fuel. There were modest improvements in full pressure altitude. The solution was the DB605L which had two stages but no intercooler (used water).

Could the Merlin 66 fit the 109G?

Is putting crosses on a Spitfire an option?

Like this one?
276A82A6-68D1-41C4-A5BC-03BA621B0929.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back