Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6 Wr. Nr. 410077 In Depth Look - Restoration Passion YouTube Channel (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very interesting and detailed description indeed.
@35:30 when he speaks about the mottling and how the realistic camo was done 2 things caught my attention:
1. Modeller Floyd Werner Jr. has been mentioned for developing a model with the same camo, which they followed for the original plane
2. The mottling was done with a diluted paint to create such subtle transitions - a problem seen in the modelling threads in this forum, when mottling becomes too bold. And...there is a trick at the end as well.
Good find!

Yeah but I don't see myself rubbing down my models with Scotchbrite pads any time soon.
Yeah right. Bet you're looking over some mules on the work bench to try it out.
C'mon guys! Don't take everything literally!;) I mentioned the above trick in my post as part of the restoration, not for models!
Models are in scale so the sanding pads have to be in scale too. I don't know what would be the exact size/grit of Scotchbrite in 1/48, but polish pads/sticks for nails help for the same effect. They smooth the paint and any overspays ideally. I bit more pressure and they make the surface look used/weathered. Same pads can be used for polishing transparent parts as well etc. etc.
Cheers!

Thanks for posting this. As a Bf109G restorer, I have to say that they did a very good job.
I can amplify some of the descriptions and information if I get some time.
Overall, I think they did a fantastic job.
The video is generally OK in format but, not done as I would like.
Cheers

Eng

OK, watching that through carefully, it is a pretty good talk-through by Mike Vadeboncoeur of Midwest Aero. The Bf 109 is a difficult subject to talk-through because it is quite different in its engineering to many American and British machines that many people are used to.
The main thing here is that the aircraft is a genuine Bf 109 G-6. I estimate that the airframe is around 30% original parts and the complete weight of original parts including the engine will likely be around two-thirds of the total, which is very good. From the airframe number 410077 the aircraft was built by Erla at Leipzig, and the engine, marked 36318, was built by Henschel at Kassel in the winter 1942-'43 timescale. It was good to hear some appreciation of the previous "109/605" restoration work in Europe that has led the way for many other flying examples today. Not mentioned directly was the engine restorer Mike Nixon at Vintage V12's, who has now got several DB 601 and DB 605 rebuilds flying. Again, he has benefitted from pioneering work in Europe and I hope that he has more success.
Mike Vadeboncoeur is correct that getting the tech manuals in English is a major step for English speaking engineers it was certainly important for the Black-Six project and I suspect some of our material was involved here.
Mike touched on the rarity of the DB 605. This is a problem, partly due to the few engines that were used after WW2. Also, the DB 605 has Magnesium castings for several important parts of the engine like, the reduction gear housing, the rear gearcase, the supercharger case and the cam covers. The Magnesium is very vulnerable to corrosion and few castings survive in good condition. However, there are still some engines available out there and it is only a matter of time before greater new-build of the DB 605 parts for flying standard will happen.
I think Mike missed a couple of points about the Bf 109G. It is a minimalist aircraft, with few comforts. However, things that should be automated are, like the Slats, the cooling regulation, the fuel injection, and the automatic propeller control. Things that can be manual are, like the flaps and the starter. Yes, the starter. Here, unfortunately, the rebuild has fallen into the trap of fitting a electric/inertia starter. This is a major departure from originality. No original Bf 109 was fitted with an electric/inertia starter, they were all fitted with the manual-only version AL/SED. The difference is that the electric/inertia AL/SGC is nearly twice as long as the manual type and will not fit in a Bf 109 because it projects into the space where the MG 131 ammunition boxes live. Of course, the owner may do what he wishes but, there is no need to corrupt the originality of the aircraft because the manual starter works absolutely fine.
Maybe some owners/operators find the manual winding start a bit low-tech and prefer to sit in the cockpit and do the start with the electric switch. Well, that may be so, but I can tell you that one of the last German Aces, General Gunter Rall (275 victories) was very pleased for me to help him start Black-Six with its original manual starter in 1997. That was probably the last time that a German WW2 fighter pilot started a genuine airworthy and original Bf 109-ever!
It was a pity that Mike did not open the lower cowling of the Bf 109. Having mentioned the fuel injection, he could have shown the impressive fuel-injection system in all its mechanical glory. Also, he would have highlighted the great engine access of the Bf 109 G, just six toggle latches and two shoot bolts to open all engine cowlings.
The description of the propeller control was a bit thin, but Mike did say they have still to get the Automatik system working. This is an important system for operating the aircraft with constant-speed propeller function. I set-up and serviced this system on Black-Six and also Hans Dittes' Black-two Bf 109 G-10 when operated by Ray and Mark Hanna. If Mike needs some help or information about that system, he can simply contact me!
So, overall a good presentation on the fantastic restoration of the Bf 109 G-6. I think all involved deserve huge credit for achieving as much originality as they have in 410077.

Eng

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back