Microscale Micro Mask removal (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gripper

Recruit
Oct 31, 2009
Evening all. Think I might have dropped a clanger! I've used the above masking agent over matt paint and it's adhered to the paint like glue. Trouble is I don't want to wreck my paint work underneath which I think I will do (big hands an all that) if I try to remove it with a craft knife> Has anyone got any suggestions at all? The bottle suggests adhesive tape but I'm a little scared of that (pull yourself together man!!!).

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris. I've never used this stuff, so I might not be much help. But, if it's similar to other liquid masking agents, such as Humbrol 'Maskol', there shouldn't be a major problem, especially if the paint is enamel. In the case of 'Maskol', which is a liquid rubber-like material, I normally very carefully lift an edge with the tip of my scalpel, and then just peel it off. If this is not possible for whatever reason, then using tape would seem a reasonable solution. However, if there is any possibilty of damaging the paintwork, due to it being concentrated around the mask, or in a joint for instance, then i think tape could be more risky than the scalpel,as there would be a larger area of contact. i think a tiny scratch from the blade tip would be easier to repair than a larger area lifted by tape. this would be more relevant still with acrylic paints.
It might be worthwhile duplicating the situation, by painting the same colour etc onto a piece of scrap plastic, or an old model, masking it and letting it set for some time, and then experimenting with removal.

Aiframes, Bingo think you've got it there. I'll grab old bit of kit and try it out. Thanks for the suggestions I'll let you know how it pans out.

Cheers

Chris

Evening all. Think I might have dropped a clanger! I've used the above masking agent over matt paint and it's adhered to the paint like glue. Trouble is I don't want to wreck my paint work underneath which I think I will do (big hands an all that) if I try to remove it with a craft knife> Has anyone got any suggestions at all? The bottle suggests adhesive tape but I'm a little scared of that (pull yourself together man!!!).

Thanks

Chris

I've used the Micro Scale mask over acrylic paint (both lifecolor and pollyscale) and clear parts. Removing the mask with a bit of masking tape worked just fine without any issues although it does come off a LOT easier on the clear parts.

With the mask applied directly to paint, you just need to be careful and use a small piece of masking tape to get a hold of the mask and then lift carefully and slowly. It does take repeated attempts to get the mask to separate from paint however. Again the trick is to try to grab ONLY the mask - once you've got an edge lifted the mask should come off easily.

I haven't tried the other masking agents like Maskol that are a bit rubbery but my wife has a water color liquid mask that she suggested I try. I've seen her use it with her paintings and the stuff actually rubs off very easily. I'm going to experiment a bit with it on a scrap kit and see how it works.

Glad to at least try to help Chris, and yes, let us know how you get on. I'd be interested inhearing how you do with that watercolour mask too, Dwight.
Cheers,
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back