Mk3 reflector gunsight.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks to all of you!

Attachments

• Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    934.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    844.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Let me know if you get stuck for a bulb source. I can check with John in Nanton but I have to think if there are any left, nobody will part with them.

Yes please! I wouldn't know where to get one. It's a 24 volt system. The only thing i can think of is maybe an old type truck or bus bulb. Even then i don't know what type..... I just know it's a 24 volt.

I'll see what I can do. Heading back to Nanton Saturday. Meantime, if you're looking for a possible modern replacement, check around locally at an electronics store or google "24 volt light bulb".

You could try ex-military Land Rover spares. Bulbs for former Land Rover FFR (Fitted For Radio) are 24 volt, and should be available. Sorry, I can't remember the names of the better known suppliers, but a leaf through a copy of 'Land Rover Owner' magazine should provide some sources.
Alternatively of course, use a suitable-sized 12 volt bulb, and run it off a battery, or use a voltage reducer (as used on some vehicle stereos).

Good ideas there. Thanks for that. I will have to get a very small mirror in the unit and shine a torch on it because i can't see whether it's a screw thread on the bulb fitment or a push fitting. Trouble is i don't own a mirror that small! I'll have to do it another way.

Some more info for you. I talked to another one of the guys at the Nanton museum and he said there are still a few light bulbs for Lancasters around. They recently got some from the guys who are restoring "Just Jane" Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre but he was unable to be specific about the bulb in your sight.

I'd suggest you contact the Lincolnshire Museum and see where that leads. They may even be able to help you with the sight. In my opinion, the box with the chord leading into it should be able to split open. Maybe try the WD40 on that as well?

Thanks for that information! I'll get in touch with them and see if they'll sell me a few. 'Just Jane' might be flying again by the end of the year. I live in Torbay and every year the 'Battle of Britain Memorial Flight' do a flypast. The Lancaster 'City of Lincoln' sounds absolutely amazing. She flies right over my house. Truly a fantastic sight!!
The casing has nuts on the inside so maybe they're bolted onto a sealed retainer. There's nothing visible on the outside but the nuts on the inside must definately be holding something. Might be the on/off switch for the lamp. I've got to find me a small mirror.......

Small dentist's mirror? You can get one from good model shops, or on-line modelling outlets. Also, 'The Works' used to do a modelling tools pack which included one - about £5 for the pack.

I thought about that but didn't know you could get them. Thanks. Or one of the small mirrors mechanics use.

A very convoluted way into a sight! If you press the round button underneath, the whole bakelite side (should) pull off. I've had a couple and they all work like this.

I think you're right Ian. I thought it was an on/off switch for the bulb. The bakelite panel is jammed solid tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back