Modern Airpower: The Answer to TP Shortages

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
California National Guard members say a fighter jet was put on standby for a "possible domestic mission" last year, raising concerns that the military could be used to disperse protesters in the early days of the coronavirus pandemic, according to a report.

Four National Guard sources spoke to the Los Angeles Times about the matter, revealing that commanders were concerned about resistance to stay-at-home orders or chaos due to panic-buying.

According to the sources, an F-15C fighter was put on alert, which raised concerns among Guard members that the jet could be used to "buzz" crowds -- a tactic often used in combat zones to disperse the enemy.

California National Guard put fighter jet on alert in March 2020 for 'possible domestic mission': report

Guardsmen feared F-15 Strike Eagle would be used to intimidate protesters | Daily Mail Online

I know low level supersonic passes have been used to disperse enemy combatants in Iraq and Afghanistan, because the sonic booms cause them to believe they're being bombed. Using something like that on Americans would likely cause some disruptions, possibly a heart attack or two, but mainly a LOT of return fire, with middle fingers, from pissed off Americans.

-Irish

To be honest, I don't see how a single fighter would do much good.
L.A. county alone, has a population greater than a few dozen European nations (number-wise, L.A. county is comparable to the Czech Republic).

National Guard is and has been the norm, the US Military on the otherhand, can only be deployed against citizens *if* the situation meets the criteria of the Insurrection Act of 1807.

The National Guard, including the Air Guard, is certainly part of the US military. Ask many of our veterans whose combat experiences were gained with Guard or Reserve forces. The Guard is, of course, under state state control until federalized. But it is most certainly military force.

And I am not arguing the legal rectitude of using the military in a declared state of emergency, but the civic and moral rectitude of doing so. In a declared state of emergency, such use is legal, so far as I have read.

I think that using military jets against civil unrest is a very unwise decision, both in terms of our civic life, and morally as well.

Back in 2003, a Saturday morning disagreement between two small groups of men in a park located in the "LA Strip" to the East of the South Bay area resulted in the LAPD responding. By the times the cops had arrived each of the groups had called in reinforcements and a sizeable riot was about to develop. The cops took one look and called for backup.

A few miles to the West in Torrance, CA, they city was holding its annual Armed Forces Day parade. The parade would head West down Torrance Blvd, in front of City Hall and other municipal facilities. That year they had requested a fly over and the USAF responded with two F-15E Strike Eagles from Edwards AFB. The F-15's proceeded to overfly the parade route from over the ocean from the West, and after IDing the area to receive their fly-by, pulled up into an Immelman Turn and then descended to do a proper beat-up job.

All of this was unknown to the people about to stage a rumble in the park. What they saw was the police pull up, look around, and then call for backup. Then came the Strike Eagles, flying overhead, pulling up just East of the park and then clearly boring in for the kill. Primed by nightly TV images of the war in Iraq, the combatants in the park assessed the situation - and ran like hell.

In 2014 Ukrainian Air Force tried to disperse the crowds blocking the railways. Attempts were not successful and exposed pilots to unnecessary risks.
April 2014, Kramatorsk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back