Modern day RAF - Vallejo colours (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

s1chris

Staff Sergeant
Dec 10, 2011
England
Hi all,

Hoping there's some modern day modellers out there that can help.

Im going to be building a few RAF chariots of war from Afghanistan / Op Herrick going forward.
So, any help with specifically what Vallejo Air colours to use for the following would be appreciated -

Revell 1/72 MH47-E - built as the 2004 RAF machine.

Revell 1/72 C130-J

I can obviously see the box colour names but just looking for the Vallejo equivalent colour.

Cheers 👍

Some love them and some hates 'em. JKim tried them quite a while ago when he was here and didn't like them. That was about four years ago so maybe they've improved

Agreed. Gotta try them before judging. Many don't like Vallejo because they say paint lifts all the time but I have no more lift than any other paint which is none to very little. With Vallejo one just needs to be patient and give it a day or two before masking and then remove most of the tack from the tape. I'm hoping to try Hataka and AK when I can find a Canadian distributor who won't kill me with shipping costs

I have to agree, Tamiya etc is rock solid and stable but in my experience requires thining.
But what I like about Vallejo is that it's nice and thin and good for the airbrush out of the bottle.
I'd rather wait 24/48 hours for drying than messing around thinning paints.
If I had a permanent set up for modelling then i'd probably favour the thicker quicker drying paints.
But as I'm a set up somewhere in the house and pack away kind of guy I like out of the bottle jobs.

Just a note... the Hataka blue line colours are for brushing while the red one is for airbrushing. The orange serie is for airbrushing but the colours of the line are of the lacquer type. Anyway all of the paints need to be stirred carefully before using. My mates recommend the blue and orange series. The red one may cause trouble with applying.

Just a note... the Hataka blue line colours are for brushing while the red one is for airbrushing. The orange serie is for airbrushing but the colours of the line are of the lacquer type. Anyway all of the paints need to be stirred carefully before using. My mates recommend the blue and orange series. The red one may cause trouble with applying.

Great advice thanks, I'll keep that in mind. 👍

Some love them and some hates 'em. JKim tried them quite a while ago when he was here and didn't like them. That was about four years ago so maybe they've improved

I have not used them, but I've read plenty about them on forums (been considering buying them myself): the conclusion is that the first batch of Hataka paints when they were first released (in 2016) were absolute garbage, however they quickly fixed something their formula, and they're supposedly great.

What are their problems with the red line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back