Mods?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, I finally have some mods and stuff:

409b1m patch
6dof mod
Mod switcher 4.08 to 4.09
Ai mod 1.7
Mod activator
IL2stab6.3
Mig-15 campaign
uss enterprise

It seems if I download the unified installer 1.1 i'll be downloading most of the stuff again, so i'll check through that contents and see what else I would like.
I'ts actually kinda crazy..I buy a game and then keep modding more than i actually play.My fiancee(we get married in 4 weeks) thinks I'm nuts, though she's still glad I'm not sitting in a bar,hehe.
Anything else worth getting?Hey Edd maybe you can send me anything I don't have yet?

The evil is in the number of mods. :D

If you're going UI, you'll need:
"Fresh" install of IL2:1946
Patch 4.08
UI 1.1
Patch UI 1.1.1

AFAIK you will need to apply the latest "AC Installer" each time you install an aircraft. Latest at the time of this post is 3.6 and it can be found in a Hurricane thread, with the Hurricane for carriers.

Now, which mods? I have not installed any myself yet, as I was only occupied with making the P-38 cockpit. From what I've read, these mods should probably be on your list:
JAFA's sounds (Link on Youtube, not AAA. There his alias is JAFAEM)
Flushies bumpification mod
HolyGrail&Potenz 3D smoke and what-not.
Propeller Mod V1/V2?
There's a "Gore" mod, but that's if you want the realism upped to include bloodied pilots in their cockpit.

You'll also want to get improved cockpits for the aircraft you tend to fly. There are quite a few out there, like BF109s, Spits, P-47s and mine and Poncho's project , the P-38.

You'll want to look at maps too, I guess. You can focus on MTO (i.e. Malta), PTO (i.e. Kokoda, the Slot) and ETO (i.e. Channel map, NW-Europe). Some are W.I.P. and some are not 1:1 scale.

Another thing to 'fear' is the WW1 project called "Canvas Knights". :)

Edd will probably add his recommendations to this list.

A ww1 project...Cool!! Is it still in progress?

I have installed all those mods except stab, without the ui and the game still runs great.
No problems watsoever. Iwould have downloaded differently if I had more info earlier.
i'll definitely start with the p-38 cockpit.Downloading now.
Thanx!: D

Well, I have no experience with installing mods and no clue how you would go about it with your install.

If I were you, I would rename your IL2 install (If that's not already the case) and make a fresh install of IL2 + 4.08 + UI1.1 + UI patch. You could look at the structure of the UI mod directories and copy over the mods you have to see if they work.

Mods are deactivated in UI by renaming the directory with a "-" in front.

Yes, the WWI project is being worked on. We've seen pictures of 3D models, skinned models in action in a clip (I think?) and a freeflight movie over the WWI landscape.

Last edited:
I just read that Avala's Planeshine Mod is not in UI1.1, so that would need installing too. Search for "Planeshine".

There are a few other mods that are worth a look..

The Hotkeys mod... which is actually now merged with the bombbay doors mod:
- Manually open/close bomb bay doors.
- Display TAS in addition to IAS in the speedbar. (also requires the HUDConfig mod)
- Separate gear up/down controls.
- Separate tailhook up/down controls.
- **NEW** Separate radiator open/close controls
- **NEW** Toggle music on/off while flying.
- **NEW** Modified airshow smoke (red, white, or blue...from the tail of the aircraft).
- The server can set various limited external view options while 'No External Views' is turned on.
-- External view only of player's own aircraft.
-- External views only while player is on the ground.
-- External views only when player is dead.
-- **NEW** External views of friendlies only.

The Splashscreen mod is good..
The skinmod.. which lets you redefine the defaults.. adds to immersion for me.. is good.. but that mod is no longer available @ AAA due to some kind of falling out that I am not quite sure of between the folks there and the author of the mod.. but it is still a great mod and something that folks in the IL2 community have been asking for since... before FB.
Jafa's sounds.. already mentioned.. but I just gotta say.. are great...
There is also a flak mod out that is pretty good too.

I prefer mods that add to the functionality of the sim... The worse thing I can say about the UI is that it has increased my load times substantially.. on a whim I flew a stock 4.09b QM.. and when I booted the sim it loaded in less than half the time as it would have had I used mods.. The 6DoF mod is by far one of the best things about the whole mod deal for me.

A ww1 project...Cool!! Is it still in progress?

I have installed all those mods except stab, without the ui and the game still runs great.
No problems watsoever. Iwould have downloaded differently if I had more info earlier.
i'll definitely start with the p-38 cockpit.Downloading now.
Thanx!: D

Please DO NOT get hopes up. It won't be as good as said. 3D = OK but not close to what IL2 Allows. I can post picture if you want? I have Crappy Knight already as beta stage that I find on net.

there is an addon available UI1.2, apperantly with new features but im doubting to do it. im awaiting what you guys think of it and stuff before i try it :D

Well, Bearcat and JAMF covered the most of them..lol :)

It really becomes a personal choice of aircraft you want in your sim. But if there is mod available, I usually download them and test. I just have a bit of problem with Unified installers getting released, and not mods on their own. But my South African friends will understand my frustrations with this, as we get capped on internet usage. (lol...only 8 months before I'm a BC Citizen)

When it comes to online fighting/flying...6DOF is crucial. I really recommend it. I honestly can't fly without it, even with my racing sim (which actually endorse it) (Live for Speed - Online racing simulator) I can't go without it.

For me....Get the sim as realistic as possible.....Get your HOTAS as realistic as possible (I have complete sim cockpit) and then you get all eyecandy(planes, maps, smoke/bullet effecs etc...

edd

I'd second the above. There are now a number of mod packages that install gobs of new planes, effects, skins, maps, etc all at once. HSFX is one, All Aircraft Arcade's UI is another. Use one of these to get started and voila you have an almost new Il2. You have to have all the official patches up to 4.09 in place first.

It's also like JAMF's "pandoras box". Looking for and downloading mods can become so addictive that it becomes an end in itself. After I discovered the modding community about a year ago, I probably spent more time looking for and downloading mods than actually playing Il2. You also should keep multiple installs of Il2 on your machine (an official out-of-the-box version is essential) in case you screw things up adding Mods that are incompatible with each other. Also, the more unofficial mods you add the more it will slow down how the game loads or cause freezes when opening and closing the game. That's one big reason to go with HSFX. All its mods have been checked for internally compatable and are directly incorporated into the basic game coding - so you don't get these performance issues.

How do I install mods? I'd like a gore mod cause I tend to keep way to long on a enemys tail.

So where to get a good gore mod and how to install it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back