Monogram 1/48 SB2C and TBF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maxrobot1

Senior Airman
Sep 28, 2009
102_6426.JPG
The old Monogram Cuttiss SB2C Helldiver next to the old Monogram TBF Avenger. Both 1/48 scale and fun to build. I know there are more detailed kits out there, but these were nostalgia builds.

Good job! I have those I want to build, but after the Monogram 1/32 F-51D.

By the way those "drop tanks" on the SB2C are in fact radar pods. They only carried one, as you have it equipped. Monogram could not see the other "drop tank" in photos but assumed it was there.

As for 3D.... Back in the mid-1980's I decided I wanted a 1/48 P-82. FSM had a nice article on building a 1/32 P-51H using parts from both the Hasegawa and Monogram P-51 kits. I figured I could apply that same info to building a 1/48 P-82 using two Monogram 1/48 P-51D.

I was well into the project before I found that it would never work. They had not simply inserted a plug in the P-51 aft fuselage to make the P-82 but had stretched the aft fuselage so much that it was a completely different contour. Making that P-82 would mean molding or carving whole new aft fuselages. When people say, "The P-82 was not just two P-51's stuck together." I think, "You have no idea how true that is." I would have never figured that out if I had not tried to make a "3D" P-82

Hmm... I wonder if I could make a P-51H out of that abortive P-82 project? For that matter, I wonder if I could make a P-51H or two out of a Modelcraft P-82, after all, I have seven of them, unbuilt.

As for 3D.... Back in the mid-1980's I decided I wanted a 1/48 P-82. FSM had a nice article on building a 1/32 P-51H using parts from both the Hasegawa and Monogram P-51 kits. I figured I could apply that same info to building a 1/48 P-82 using two Monogram 1/48 P-51D.

I was well into the project before I found that it would never work. They had not simply inserted a plug in the P-51 aft fuselage to make the P-82 but had stretched the aft fuselage so much that it was a completely different contour. Making that P-82 would mean molding or carving whole new aft fuselages. When people say, "The P-82 was not just two P-51's stuck together." I think, "You have no idea how true that is." I would have never figured that out if I had not tried to make a "3D" P-82

Hmm... I wonder if I could make a P-51H out of that abortive P-82 project? For that matter, I wonder if I could make a P-51H or two out of a Modelcraft P-82, after all, I have seven of them, unbuilt.
Go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back