More proof that the P-39 rules! 😂

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My uncle told me about a farmer down the road who had never had a vehicle. Finally bought one and went by train to Perth to pick it up.
While he was there the sales people taught him how to drive it. It was a tray back truck - 1930 something. Drove it all way back
from Perth (220 miles) leaving early morning as the roads were not great. Got to town and decided to show the boys at the pub.

Spent the rest of the evening at the pub and then drove another 20 miles on gravel to home. Up the driveway - into the shed,
forgot he was not on the cart (thoroughly pissed) and loudly said "Whoah now boy" - 240 miles of driving - his first time - went clean
through the back wall of the shed and buggered the radiator. Apparently the wife was not overly impressed.
There is a model T Ford in a museum in South Carolina with a similar occurrence. It was bought by a farmer, taught to drive it by the salesman and on the way home came to a turn too fast, called whoa and it ran off the road. Ii was towed to the barn where it sat until 1942. Gas rationing caused the farmer's son to get it road worthy and after WW2 it went back in the barn except for parades. It was donated to the museum. I wonder how many such things happened.

Four sixty A/C, of course, was all four windows open and 60 miles per hour. As a kid in the backseat of our 48 Plymouth with the front vent wings open and the rear vent wings open, I discovered if I released a piece of paper about 1/2 inch square about head high, it would shoot forward and make a right or left turn, head high just in front of Mom or Dad and exit through front vent windows. Dad was not amused, so I was not able to fully explore this aerodynamic Phenomena.

But the thing is, with P-39's everyone is always having so much fun.

Screenshot_2020-12-14 Skyways November 1942 eBay.png

You should go find a 48 PLymouth and finish that research. It likely has something to do with why a turbocharger could not be made to work well on the side of a P-39. It all might have worked out if only they had installed vent windows in the P-39.

Who'd have guessed?

I KNOW we'd all like to have more information on THAT. I know I would.

Keep us updated.

You should go find a 48 PLymouth and finish that research. It likely has something to do with why a turbocharger could not be made to work well on the side of a P-39. It all might have worked out if only they had installed vent windows in the P-39.

Who'd have guessed?

I KNOW we'd all like to have more information on THAT. I know I would.

Keep us updated.
Finally sold Dad's 48 last year. The study could not be replicated while driving and riding in the back seat. I know for a fact..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back