More Russian drone harassment

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thumpalumpacus

Captain
Feb 5, 2021
Tejas
WASHINGTON (AP) — A Russian fighter jet flew within a few meters of a U.S. drone over Syria and fired flares at it, striking the American aircraft and damaging it, the U.S. military said Tuesday, the latest in a string of aggressive intercepts by Russia in the region.

A senior Air Force commander said the move on Sunday was an attempt by the Russians to knock the MQ-9 Reaper drone out of the sky and came just a week after a Russian fighter jet flew dangerously close to a U.S. surveillance aircraft carrying a crew in the region, jeopardizing the lives of the four Americans on board.

"One of the Russian flares struck the U.S. MQ-9, severely damaging its propeller," Lt. Gen. Alex Grynkewich, the head of U.S. Air Forces Central, said in a statement describing the latest close call. "We call upon the Russian forces in Syria to put an immediate end to this reckless, unprovoked, and unprofessional behavior."

Part of me would like to see a few Reapers loaded with proximity-fused 5" shells. Get too close to its tail, and boom!

Part of me would like to see a few Reapers loaded with proximity-fused 5" shells. Get too close to its tail, and boom!
5 inch shell? Actually, Oppenheimer came up with an answer to that problem a while back.

In his words: "Nuclear weapons; when you care enough to send the very best."

Well, it was either him or Hallmark Cards, probably both of them.

Do you think that the controller "flying" such a drone is ever tempted, given the chance, to Kamikaze the Russian jet? The jet would be worth more ($) than the drone, I would think. Probably the difference in speeds and the fact that the Russian will be flying above the drone (maybe) would make it nearly impossible. Just a flight of fancy on my part but the mental image is just too compelling to ignore.

I thinking that. I suppose a Reaper with Sidewinders might back 'em off a bit. I don't know how brave those pilots would be the Reaper can shoot back.

Do you think that the controller "flying" such a drone is ever tempted, given the chance, to Kamikaze the Russian jet? The jet would be worth more ($) than the drone, I would think. Probably the difference in speeds and the fact that the Russian will be flying above the drone (maybe) would make it nearly impossible. Just a flight of fancy on my part but the mental image is just too compelling to ignore.

Yeah, I thought of that and you're right, the speed-differential is still probably too big (though in the video in the link I posted, you can see the Russian fighter is flying high AOA, implying lower speed) for human-controlled f**kery. I think proximity-fuse is the best little nasty surprise.

Another thing that just popped in my head: chaff- or flare-dispensers linked to tail-warning radar. "Gosh, we thought it was a missile coming at us, so we started spoofing! Sorry 'bout your bad luck."

Yeah, I thought of that and you're right, the speed-differential is still probably too big (though in the video in the link I posted, you can see the Russian fighter is flying high AOA, implying lower speed) for human-controlled f**kery. I think proximity-fuse is the best little nasty surprise.

Another thing that just popped in my head: chaff- or flare-dispensers linked to tail-warning radar. "Gosh, we thought it was a missile coming at us, so we started spoofing! Sorry 'bout your bad luck."
That's even better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back