Mossie and P-51 among others find in New Zealand rural building.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That is nice. Any history of the planes known ?

As Barf added, all ex-RNZAF and military history included. The P-40 has Pacific campaign history. Had to alter the Mustang history - I was a digit out, Oops, it was NZ2422, not NZ2423 that did the radiation flights...

Despite what the article says, most of John Smith's collection will be transported to the Aviation Heritage Centre at Omaka, Blenheim, where the P-40 is currently undergoing long term restoration, and Smith's former Hudson is displayed in a crash diorama.

48988840272_242781e436_b.jpg
Hudson i

Images of the display here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/147661871@N04/albums/72157711573750182/with/48988840272/

Last edited:
I heard about John Smith's passing a couple of months ago from Dave McDonald, Deputy Editor of Classic Wings, which is owned & run by Graham Orphan - They have a 'Teaser' contest in each issue which we try and guess an aircraft from an old photo - I had rung him about my answer and in the course of the conversation he told me the sad news about John passing - Where I live is not that far from Ohakea -

I will be really chuffed if his Mosquito gets restored to fly and stays here in NZ - I get bloody sick of Our Very Skilled Restorers here in doing a top-job of doing-up Mossies for them to just go off to overseas owners, never to return !

Our pilots in WW2 flew them in 3 RAF (NZ} Sqns, 487, 488 and late in the War converted from Beau's to Mossies in 489 Sqn, part of the anti-shipping Dallachy Strike Wing -
Not to mention many other aircrew attached to other Mossie Fighter/Bomber & even PR Sqns.
There is nothing like the sound of a Merlin (as most of you know), and two is awesome, but especially on our ANZAC Day when we celebrate Our Past Comrades, the whole day is so much more complete with our Spitfires doing flyovers and with our own Mosquito it would just round it right off !

RIP John Smith, he served us most admirably by his saving of all these past treasures ~

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back