Mustang With Cannons

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
I wasn't aware these were even trialled.

1619630662562.png

pinterest and a site with a virus warning

Part of a series of armament trials at Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment using a number of Mustang Mk.I aircraft to develop a 'universal low attack wing'. This involved modifications to the standard Mustang Mk.I wing to carry experimentally a range of different underwing stores, including rocket rails, bombs, smoke container installation and podded 40mm Vickers S guns. The wing would see the deletion of the wing mounted 0.50in Browning HMG and one of the wing mounting 0.300 Browning MGs, retaining the remaining 0.300 Browning MG in each wing for sighting purposes. It was part of the concept for future Allison engined Mustangs to be used in the Army close air support role. However the Typhoon largley took up that role in the ETO, with the later Hurricane marks performing the role in the MTO and India-Burma region, whilst the focus on the Mustang moved more to the 'pure' fighter role with the introduction of the R-R Merlin to the Mustang.

NAA also conducted design work and limited trials on a podded underwing 37mm autocannon as an armament option for the A-36. NAA also did a design concept and prototypes for a pair of podded 20mm cannon under each wing of the A-36 to increase fire power for low level attack strafing. Did not proceeed beyond early mock up stages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back