Mustangs on Iwo Jima

MIflyer

Captain
8,974
20,293
Joined
May 30, 2011
Location
Cape Canaveral
21st Fighter Group, 72nd Squadron, Iwo Jima

P-51D21FG72SdrnIWOJIMA.jpg
 
The two black and white shots are of the late Bill Ebersole, of Gainesville, FL. I knew him for some time before I discovered he was a P-51D pilot on Iwo Jima. I built a small RC model marked exactly as his #619 which he got to see fly -- as you might imagine, it rekindled many memories. He was 20 (and could not drink in the officer's club, he told me). He was one of four pilots that shared "Hon. Mistake".
 

Attachments

  • 342-FH-3A-42337-67945AC_462nd_fs_6xx_ebersole.jpg
    342-FH-3A-42337-67945AC_462nd_fs_6xx_ebersole.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Ed-in-color_650.jpg
    Ed-in-color_650.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 94
  • HonMistake-619.jpg
    HonMistake-619.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4084.jpg
    IMG_4084.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
One of my best sources was Col. Harry Crime who'd commanded the 531st FS, 21st FG on Iwo. He said, "I fought the Germans for patriotism and the Japanese (!) for fun. Next time I wanted to fight for money!"
 
Good shots!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back