MV-22 Osprey

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Since WW2, the West has relied on quality over quantity. For the most part, I think quality has been a good nuetralizer of numerically superior forces. One aspect that has always been a concern is the vulnerability of NATO airfields.

It doesn't matter how good your F-16's, F-15's or F-22's are if they don't have a place to land. Sure you can argue that highways all over Europe could be impromptu airfields.. (the Swedes and Dane's have done a good job at this).. but logistics and battlefield readiness sustainability is not guaranteed.

Until now!

I think the Osprey and the F-35 will make a great team. Configure easily transportable WRSK packages ( War Readiness Spare Kits) for the Osprey to service the F-35 and parking lots, play grounds, cemeteries and parks become airfields....

The Osprey has it strengths but I wasn't a fan until the F-35.

The F-35 needs the Osprey!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GjrPvSBGXE

Correct me if I'm wrong but with MAX pay load, the F-35 is STOL, how long a runway does it need?

You know I don't recall. I do know that the "bring back" is substantial. But then again that is what 40,000lbs+ thrust (with growth from the core) buys you. But max payload? Don't know.

Sounds like a quote from the 60's sales handout for the Harrier.

I have seen the Harrier use an incomplete supermarket as a base during exercises. The carpark made the ideal landing/take of strip and they just towed the planes into the supermarket through the (removed) front windows which was used as a cover.

Just and interesting note. There are autobahns over here in Germany that were built during the cold war just for that purpose and they lead to hollowed out mountains that serve as hangers.

Photo rec'd via the Bell rep in Kirkuk within the last day. It looks like
the MV-22 has a stinger in its tail - Matt, what is that pointing rearward?

Attachments

• V-22 Kirkuk AB.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 61
Photo rec'd via the Bell rep in Kirkuk within the last day. It looks like
the MV-22 has a stinger in its tail - Matt, what is that pointing rearward?

Do you mean the tail tail, or the thing pointing out the rear door/ramp? The pointy thing sticking out of the door/ramp is the on-board defensive .50-cal BHMG. Unfortunately, it's pointed the wrong direction for insertion into a "hot" LZ; there are plans in the works to modify/upgrade the MV-22 with a chin-mounted cannon of some sort (still don't know what type; probably a 30 or 35mm chain gun).

Likely just a manned M240 (or similar) like other ramp mounted weapons seen on CH-46, MH-53 or CH-47. I know they have also mounted mini-guns for SpecOps. Kloby and Adler can probably give better information. The AvWeek article noted that it was an automated and retractable turret located amidship. No other details and I have not read anything further.

Users who are viewing this thread