MV-22 Osprey

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sweet! Nice shots . . .

I'm right in the middle of building a 1/48th V-22, so those shots were very helpful . . . the model is based on the prototype, so it's a little off in some areas (a lot less ECM hardware, bulkhead between flight deck and cargo deck is different, jump seats a little different, no in-flight refueling probe, etc.).

3 MV-22 Osprey questions:

Are there any close-up photos or diagrams of where the props fold up. I'd like to see how the blades lock into place.

What does "MV" stand for? (Mostly vertical?:lol:)

Why not Turbo Fan engines? When are we going to out grow props?

3 MV-22 Osprey questions:

Are there any close-up photos or diagrams of where the props fold up. I'd like to see how the blades lock into place..

Actually, the whole wing rotates through 90 degress so that it's in line with the fuselage.

Why not Turbo Fan engines?

I don't think turbofans/turbojets would be responsive enough for the Osprey; with props, even turboprops, you can change the pitch of the blades in a split second to manuever.

That's not quite true..... Only the engines and nacelles rotate.

Charles

So I guess they changed the original specs; the prototype had the capability to rotate the wing through 90-degrees. I guess it got too complicated and they deleted that requirement.

800px-V-22_Osprey_wing_rotated.jpg

I wanna know how those suckers lock in..

Attachments

• 800px-V-22_Osprey_wing_rotated.jpg
    800px-V-22_Osprey_wing_rotated.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 40
So I guess they changed the original specs; the prototype had the capability to rotate the wing through 90-degrees. I guess it got too complicated and they deleted that requirement.

I think were talking two different things, here, Sod. Your pick shows
the whole she-bang rotated for storage. I don't know if the newer ones do
that or not. I thought you were talking about the wings rotating for flight.

Charles

I think were talking two different things, here, Sod. Your pick shows
the whole she-bang rotated for storage. I don't know if the newer ones do
that or not. I thought you were talking about the wings rotating for flight.

Charles

Yeah, you're right; I knew it was just the engine nacelles that rotated in-flight. I thought the question was about "how do they store it".

Kamov project of the 70s. The V-100 with two turboprops driving wingtip rotors and a pusher propeller. Crew of two with ejection seats. 'Expected' top speed was 400kmph.

As far as I know the wings still rotate along the longitudinal axis for shipboard storage.

Comiso - don't think of props as a bad thing. Obviously, these blades are a compromise between props and rotors (hence proprotor). While a turbojet/fan would provide necessary thrust for the airplane configuration, I don't think it would be possible to lift and control the aircraft with necessary maneuverability using thrust vectoring. Don't forget - the proprotors act just like a helo's rotorblades when in heicopter mode; they are the control surfaces. They provide both lift and thrust. Only after sufficient airspeed is reached and the control surfaces and wings are effective, with the nacelles being rotated forward does the aircraft operate like a conventional airplane.

Matt, the author of magazine article of 1995 felt that the MV-22 would make a poor rescue craft based on the turbulence produced by the combined downward thrust of the two rotors.

An ex-BAe employee wrote a rebuttal a couple of months later citing experiments with the Bell XV-15 had shown that the 'wash' between the rotors was actually less than produced by a single rotor helicopter.

The author replied that his belief was justified, based on the fact (at the time) that the MV-22's maximum disc loading was 50% more than a CH-53E and 60% higher than the XV-15.

Your thoughts?

I don't think turbofans/turbojets would be responsive enough for the Osprey; with props, even turboprops, you can change the pitch of the blades in a split second to manuever.

I will take some pics of it this weekend at the Deutsches Museum in Munchen. Dornier built a jet aircraft like the Osprey many years ago. They did successful testing on it but it never entered production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back