MV-22 Osprey

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cricket is infinately more skillfull than baseball! you can be at the crease for nearly a day at a time- that is something very impressive!

Any damn game that requires a friggin' "day at the crease" or whatever it is...is a day of your life you'll never get back.

By the by. I just read in AvWeek that the Office of the Inspector General (Congress' reporting entity) is recommending that the recent selection of the CH-47 to satisfy the SAR-X program may have been flawed. The report did not go into details, but indicated that the CH/MH-47 may have not been the top performer based upon the SAR-X requirements. Might this open that back up to the MV-22?

MV-22 wasn't designed w/ SAR capabilities in the forefront, only as a peripheral capability. Extreme downwash I would imagine might be an issue affecting SAR performance. I'm not familiar with this SAR-X program, and couldn't find much about it... enlighten me please.

Next generation SAR with about 180+ aircraft as I recall. The MH-60, MH-53, MH-47 and MV-22 were the contendenders I think. Not sure if Eurocopter was bidding or not. You are right about MV-22 and it was not deemed a likely candidate. I think it really boiled down to MH-53 and MH-47. Not sure what the qualification parameters were. However, it was done on a ranking system based upon aircraft capabilities, support, recurring costs, etc.

The CH-47 is too big in my opinon for SAR purposes. It cant get into smaller areas. Plus its cieling is not very high. It can not get up the very hight mountains to rescure people. Better to stick with a UH-60 in my opinion.

Well it was in the Stars and Stripes newspaper today. They have grounded the entire Osprey fleet including the 8 that the Airforce have allready recieved.

A problem with the flight computer chips was found. The problem was that once the chips were exposed to cold weather and climates (even cold from being at high alltitudes) they failed and the aircraft would not be able to operate properly in emergency procedures.

They said they are not sure how long the grounding will be in place. They have to figure out what course of action to take whether it be replace the chips with a different kind or make modifications to the aircraft. It will take a minimum of several weeks however they are sure.

I know nothing about this Adler. But I would suspect that the flight computer chip problem is operation "outside of normal operating conditions" and is a software flight control problem that is less of an airframe problem and more of a flight control law issue. Either way. I suspect the issue is minor in the engineering/flight cert scheme of things.

A problem with the flight computer chips was found. The problem was that once the chips were exposed to cold weather and climates (even cold from being at high alltitudes) they failed and the aircraft would not be able to operate properly in emergency procedures.

Amazing. This isn't rocket science. I am sure the MV-22 flight control computers are not unique and should be similar to other aircraft with good temperature performance. Maybe a cost savinb chip change was made, but still should have been enviromentally tested. If this is true someone is in trouble.

Yeah I heard this. It is amazing. As if this is the first A/C to ever have computer chips in it... They will replace the chips - shouldn't have anymore problems. Dave - those were the first words out of my mouth when I found out the other day... "someone's getting fired."

It really should not be a problem at all. I know the AFCS computers on our Blackhawks had some problems as well a while back and they just replaced them with a more effecient and better version. Never really had a problem with them after that. Granted they were grounded until they were replaced which took about 2 weeks due to the computers being shipped and then the aircraft undergoing test flights. If they did fail after that, you just did a reset and 99 percent of the time it went back into normal operation.

Even if it did fail on the Blackhawk, you could still fly the helicopter it was just that you were now flying a Huey. :lol:

The thing that worries me is that you would expect any piece of equipment, let alone one like this, to have gone serious cold weather trials which should have identified problems such as this. If for some reason they didn't, or if the testing wasn't as deep as it should, what else may only be discovered after someone has lost their life?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back