My grandfather and I have some questions about some WW2 drop alluminium tanks.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Norwegian

Recruit
Sep 30, 2012
Hi everyone.

So I registered here today with a question, my grandfather and I live in Norway, many many years ago he was given 2 airplane drop tanks from an old friend that had about 7, I think that is what they are called, they are fuel tanks on that would drop on the ground once they were empty, however these are not used and are in great condition.

Could someone tell me more about these? are they rare? there is a descreption on all of the tanks, describing the serial number, weight, material, size and well, everything, the logo is a little hard to read when i looked at one of them erlier today, I think it said Fletcher Aviation Corp.
The Tanks themselves are pretty cool and very big, I would guess 2.5 meters long and somewhat slim, not those fat tanks I've seen on google, but almost like it was designed for a Jet fighter.

It's also said on the describtion that they were made in california, if that helps, I'll maybe upload a picture later, if that something people are interested in.
We are also wondering, are they worth alot of money? I would rate the condition very good.

Thanks
Jonas

IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG

Here are some pictures, thanks, there are actually 3 tanks, though only 2 are my grandfathers.

Not WW2 vintage. Possibly from American aircraft in service with the Royal Norwegian Air Force, from the 1950s to 1970s, maybe F86D, F100 or similar. They could be from the F-84 Thunderjet, which was used in the 1950s and 60s.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, but the tag on the tank says they were made by fletcher aviation CO, and i googlet it and they were a company in the 1940's, from california pasadena.

Thanks for the replies, but the tag on the tank says they were made by fletcher aviation CO, and i googlet it and they were a company in the 1940's, from california pasadena.

And Fletcher Aviation continued to produce aircraft components and aviation materials until 1966.

In fact I believe their main product from 1960 onward was drop tanks.

Fletcher Aviation,Flair Aviation (1960),then Sargent Fletcher (1964),has been making aviation refuelling systems since the 1940s and still does under the Cobham Mission Systems name.

"This company makes aerial refueling systems, external fuel tanks, special purpose pods (pods carrying lasers, data gathering equipment, fuel, cargo, lights, etc.), pylons, and pneumatic ejectors. Since its inception in 1940, the company has produced more than 2,000 aerial refueling systems and 1 million external fuel tanks for the military forces of many countries. Customers include the US and UK military, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and BAE Systems. Sargent Fletcher markets its business under the Cobham Mission Systems nameplate"

This will give you an idea of the possible aircraft which those tanks may have been used with.

DT_1.gif

They don't look like WW2 vintage drop tanks to me either.

As they are marked "Fletcher Aviation" it would seem that they are pre-1960 when the company changed its name to Flair Aviation. That may limit the choice of aircraft to which they may have been fitted.

Steve

Last edited:
I agree, as pointed out the company continued to make products after WW2. Most companies today, have their origins during WW2 or earlier.

Do you have a picture of the tag itself. Normally on the tag there will be a manufacture date.

Thanks again, i'll try and check the tag again, what do you think this is worth btw? for a collector maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back