Navigation

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In a book on Duxford "Duxford and the Big Wings 1940-45," by Martin Bowman, 2nd. Lt. Dick Hewitt states that, at the end of 1943, his P-47 was fitted with IFF. By then, the IFF Mk.III was in use, and (on RAF aircraft, at least,) the only visible sign was a bar aerial, usually under the wing or fuselage, about 12" long.
See gumbyk's post - even with IFF (and those aircraft equipped as not all aircraft had IFF equipment) "DF Steer" was going to get you on a basic course. Bottom line, DR is going to be used and outside electronic navigation (again on aircraft so equipped), was the basic mode of aerial navigation during WW2.

Found this from another site...

"From the manuals I have, it seems the antenna is associated with the Detrola range reicever, or/and the SCR-274-N radio (depending on the manual you read). As the USAAF Merlin Mustangs used in Europe (ETO and MTO) used the SCR-522-A, if I am not mistaken, it is safe to assume the reason for the antenna in the MTO is the Detrola. Maybe Mr Fiedler will confirm he had such a control box on the right side floor of his cockpit:

A question that comes to my mind is that since the SCR-522-A was the copy of a bristish radio, then would the RAF keep it on their Mustang III and IV, or did they replace it with a british set?

Also, was the SCR-274-N ever installed on Merlin Mustang during WWII? Most manuals refer to the two different sets, but it seems from the pictures that the SCR-522-A was the most widely used. I also read that the SCR-274-N set was heavier than the SCR-522-A, could it be the reason?

And still on the radio equipment subject, the IFF set:

In one of his studies of the 8th AAF, Roger Freeman says that IFF sets were deleted from fighters from December 1943. Can anyone confirm this, and knows the reason? I had a nice talk with a 367th FG veteran a few years ago, and he told me his 9th AAF outfit (using P-38s and P-47s) did have the IFF installed (he served from Sept 44 to V.E.day) Maybe Mr Fiedler can confirm us if this kind of equipment was in use in 15th AAF fighters.

Thanks for any input.

Laurent

mayfair35:
Laurent,
Yes we did have a low frequency receiver but not the one shown in your illustration. As I recall ours had a somewhat different configuration but obviously a dial (larger) as shown on yours. The reason is that there was supposed to be a LF range somewhere in the vicinity. If there was it must have operated sporatically. Low ceilings were our most severe problems and we used to depend upon Big Fence for steers. This was not always too successful.
We normally tried to descend through the clouds over the Adriatic and then fly under them to the coast and hopefully orient ourselves. If successful, we usually were able to find our way home. The greatest loss we had was when 5 a/c descended through the clouds, incorrectly assuming they were over the Adriatic. The next day, all 5 wrecks were located on one of the mountains north of us.
About the IFF, I am not sure. If we had it, I do not believe it was ever used. I recall using IFF in Germany during the mid-50s and of course quite often during Viet Nam. But we also had flare ports and guns in the P-51 during the war, which I never used nor was I ever informed what the colors of the day might be. I guess we depended upon visual identification when we and the Russians started flying in the same areas.
I hope this answers your questions. If not give me another try.
Cordially, Art Fiedler"

http://www.mustangsmustangs.us/thehangar/index.php?topic=395.5;wap2

Eric (vangilder) might know this guy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back