Need help identifying a tail number ??4925

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

so how many b-25 bombers have the same last 4 digits 4925? I did find this picture of a b25 of the 42nd bomb group tail number 4264925
Page 1.jpg

Last edited:
so how many b-25 bombers have the same last 4 digits 4925? I did find this picture of a b25 of the 42nd bomb group tail number 4264925View attachment 720576
From all B-25 manufactured only this a/c has a s/n ending on 4925.
Could you find out which of the 3 B-25 you mentioned before is this particular one (based on the names of the planes).
P.S. You might have seen this picture as well - a modified B-25G-5 (new designation G-12) from the 42nd BG. This is the exact same modification as the one of your granddad.
hEioi9T.jpg

Last edited:
From all B-25 manufactured only this a/c has a s/n ending on 4925.
Could you find out which of the 3 B-25 you mentioned before is this particular one (based on the names of the planes).
P.S. You might have seen this picture as well - a modified B-25G-5 (new designation G-12) from the 42nd BG. This is the exact same modification as the one of your granddad.
View attachment 720614
I believe it to be Dark Eyes

I believe it to be Dark Eyes
Thank you! :salute:
P.S. I finally remembered where did I see "Dark Eyes" before - on Facebook, in Phill Marchese's profile (the small photo from 2016). Phill misidentified the plane as a B-25G1 at that time. All about B-25G-12 modifications I learned from him some 12-15 years ago.
Aaron, now I see you wrote there as well.

Last edited:
Phil Marchese was correct in identifying 'Dark Eyes' as being designated a B-25G1 if it was in the armament configuration shown below where the 75 mm cannon was removed and replaced by additional .50 Cals.

Early B-25Gs were modified to G-12 configuration (by deleting the ventral turret, adding waist gun positions and a cheek gun installation of 2x.5 Cals on the Starb side only. There was no cheek guns on the Port side as the 75 mm cannon breech took up the space where the .50 Cal ammo would have been stored). This modification was done in the U.S at mod centres before shipping to the Pacific.

But 5th and 13th Air Forces hated the 75 mm cannon installation, and converted the airframes to what they dubbed 'commerce strafers' by deleting the cannon and adding additional .50 Cals in the nose and also a Port side cheek gun installation of 2x.5 Cals. This mod was designated B-25G1 (no dash after the 'G'). This work was done locally in the 5th and 13th AF depots.

There are only a few images I have seen of 42 BG airframes retaining the cannon ('The Coral Queen' attached is one example). But there are many images of airframes in B-25G1 configuration, including all the ones I have seen of 'Dark Eyes'.

Steve Mackenzie

Attachments

• B-25G 'The Coral Queen' a.jpg
    B-25G 'The Coral Queen' a.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 11
  • B-25G 'Dark Eyes' e.jpg
    B-25G 'Dark Eyes' e.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back