Need help with color on this die cast model of mine that needs repair!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ptraney

Airman
Oct 4, 2015
Hi, I purchased a GMP P-51D Glennis recently and they are known to have issues with cracked paint on the flaps. Anyway I would like to do a small repair and need advice on what color you think this is on the flaps. I need to buy some spray paint because that seems to be the best way..I do not airbrush..unfortunately. Thanks so much! Oh by the way cracked paint is on the other side and I am too embarrassed to show my hand painted mess!

P-51 1.jpg
P-51 2.jpg
P-51 3.jpg
P-51 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that's an aluminium colour with a coat of a matt or semi-matt clear varnish. IMHO you should look for the spray acrylic lacquers for repairing of cars offered in cans.

In general, those P-51's in 'bare metal', had the main wing finished in 'silver', a coating made from clear lacquer and aluminium powder, which covered the sealed panel joints and puttied finish.
The fabric-covered control surfaces (except flaps, which were metal skinned) were finished in 'aluminium' dope, with the flaps in bare metal.
However, as the model appears to have a 'uniform' finish, then as suggested, an 'aluminium
paint would suffice for the flaps, and if there is a shade difference between the remained of the airframe, it would not matter much.

In general, those P-51's in 'bare metal', had the main wing finished in 'silver', a coating made from clear lacquer and aluminium powder, which covered the sealed panel joints and puttied finish.
The fabric-covered control surfaces (except flaps, which were metal skinned) were finished in 'aluminium' dope, with the flaps in bare metal.
However, as the model appears to have a 'uniform' finish, then as suggested, an 'aluminium
paint would suffice for the flaps, and if there is a shade difference between the remained of the airframe, it would not matter much.
thanks so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back