Need I.D. please - Treasures from the landfill!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Arsenal VG-33

Senior Airman
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
Yesterday, I took some old roof shingles to the landfill and discovered to my horror a trove of WW 2 relics. Unfortunately, much of if had already been crushed to pieces by this huge machine with a giant wheel with spikes on it. Luckily, I did manage to salvage some pieces which appear to be aircraft parts, I'm assuming Japanese and German. I'm not 100% sure what they are some I'm posting the photos here after I spent all day yesterday cleaning them.

This is the Japanese instrument, appears to be a navigational aid, and still works!

DCP_1928.jpg

DCP_1929.jpg

DCP_1930.jpg

DCP_1931.jpg

DCP_1932.jpg

DCP_1933.jpg

The German device appears to be a camera of sorts, and it even has the film canister still in it. Gun camera? Recon camera? I have a few cables which look like they go to this thing.

DCP_1935.jpg

DCP_1936.jpg

DCP_1937.jpg

DCP_1938.jpg

It was a real chore to clean these up. I was really upset that I couldn't save anything else. I saw a lot of other aircraft parts, mostly gauges that were all broken up by the machine. Also some US uniform, shredded all up with a few ribbons attached. I asked the driver if he could give me a few minutes to salvage what I could, even explained to him what they were. He just told me to F-off, I wasn't allowed to take this from the dump. I only got away with the Japanese instrument, and 2 German cameras, identical to eachother, though I posted only one. The other is still a real mess.

My guess, some old vet passed away recently, and either his family members were so dumb as to throw all of his stuff away, or he had no family and somebody tossed it in the garbage. Very very sad. I noticed a few B/W photos in the area as well.

I'm guessing, [the 1st pic] but this is probably off of a ship. The inclinometer, under the compass, only goes a bit
over 15 degrees in each direction, which is a healthy roll for a ship. One of our Japanese friends will know for sure.

Charles

I'm guessing, but this is probably off of a ship. The inclinometer, under the compass, only goes a bit over 15 degrees in each direction, which is a healthy roll for a ship. One of our Japanese friends will know for sure.

Charles

Ok, that makes sense. It is a bit heavy. I'm not sure what the device on the back is, the one with the spring and cork backing. Looks like some kind of shock absorber?

I forgot to add: The German camera is made by SIEMANS.

Actually I beleive the first picture is part of a japanese auto pilot. Though yours is not exactly the same as the on in this picture from the book Japanese Aircraft equipment by Robert C Mikesh you can see its very simular to the type posted. I will see if I can find and exact match but I believe yours maybe an earlier model.

Great find by the way.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 182
Ok its actually part of the following

Type 3 Autopilot directional Gyro.
Product of Tokyo aviation indicator
User model Type I Attack Model 34 Denkou
Type 0 Transport
Japanese Navy

Attachments

• 2.gif
    2.gif
    38.6 KB · Views: 170
the camera is a gun camera for 88mm flakguns :) it was also a common hand held filmcamera by german film makers making newsreels from the front. but the special front on the lens and the aimingdevice on top identifies it as a 88mm flak guncamera, we have one just like that on our archive in the museum here in Norway

this was common pratice and all 88mm flakguns have a mounting for the camera as well. and the wires he indicates that goes with the camera are conneted with the gun so when they shoot the camera films during fire sequences and then one can study later the film to see hits and learn from the film. just like a guncamera in aircrafts as its pointed towards the aimingpoint on the 88mm

Ok, Thanks to all for your help, and additional info is greatly appreciated! As for the Japanese directional gyro, what kind of aircraft would this piece be installed in? Any specific aircraft or was it in general use for IJN aircraft?

Thanks for the info on the German camera, I would have never guessed. Was it to record kills by AA crews?

son of a........that pisses me right off that even after explaining what they were, someone would destroy relics like that :mad: it is fortunate you were able to save those two.

it was to record hits ( kills ) and also to improve and learn from shooting to get more accuracy next time up. its many clips on youtube when seeing old german fotage from the war and when you see kills in the air filmed from ground it was this type of camera used. the number on the side ( 5997 ) is most likey the gun it belonged to as each gun had its own equipment and was labeled acordingly ! as each camera was calibereted with each gun/aim point. the flashcover in fronlenst is to prevent to much glare from the flames to project on the lens/film. I will get a picture of the mountingframe on the 88mm canon for you :) will take one next time in the museum

Attachments

• 88mm in place 009.jpg
    88mm in place 009.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 118
and i couldent agree more.. i guess these are warsouvenirs and been stored in a attic or something..and the persopn dies and the realtives find this old "scrap" in a attic and figure its no worth and throws it.. just shows how little people care..glad you saved a few..and if the family had cared they would have learnbed the history behind each item. I am sure both these items has a great story that is now lost forever..but the items are saved..atleast a few

...the old WW II airfield call Freeman Field was it? I know they tested quite a few Axis aircraft there during and after the war. Could this be:

1) Momentos from someone who worked there during the war?
2) Part of the mythic trash pits that most of this stuff was bull dozed into?
3) Just a lucky chance meeting between you and history?

Take care of them. You are now a custodian of history.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back