new guy with a mystery..

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

On the second set of photos, the black part you're holding - what's the markings/ numbers inside the item?

In the second set of photos, the dial has dashes and numbers from 0-100. No other markings.

The smaller piece just says "alcoa 25419-4290".

I looked at that corsair layout (fantastic reference), but it looks like the gunsite is on the left side, and other items are on the right side......

Where different variants of the aircraft vastly different in the cockpit?

I looked at that corsair layout (fantastic reference), but it looks like the gunsite is on the left side, and other items are on the right side......

Where different variants of the aircraft vastly different in the cockpit?
I'm trying to figure out the differences in the variants of F4Us. Things like lights and some electrical system switches would traditionally be on the right side of WW2 US aircraft, but there are always exceptions to the rules.

If you head back to the site, any kind of part number will do - I think the number with the alcoa prefix is a aluminum heat lot number.

Hi Flyboyj,

>Things like lights and some electrical system switches would traditionally be on the right side of WW2 US aircraft, but there are always exceptions to the rules.

I spontaneously thought of a cockpit photograph of a T-6 I once saw which had gunsight, recognition light and some electrics/engine related switches on a panel on the left of the centre side below the main panel. However, on re-checking that photograph, I found it were several extra panels actually, not matching Shazzam's photographs.

Still, the "mixed function" panel concept is interesting, and the T-6 (or SNJ, if we're talking Navy) had a lot of variants ...

Could this item be a mechanical flap position indicator?

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee74/mich_427_cobra/IMG_1726.jpg

This might be a lead, I imagine. The T-6 appears to have had a linear mechanical flap position indicator though, not a rotary, so maybe I've just killed my own hypothesis ;)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Guys,
Trying to narrow this down...
Can I assume it is a fighter since it has "gunsight" as a control?
I have scoured some pages looking at Corsair pics (no luck finding a match) and Wildcats (no luck either)...
Any other ideas what I could look at?

Would a "trainer" have a gunsight switch/icon?

Any ideas what type of aircraft would be great. I am spending my lunches looking at cockpit/controls photos...

Hi Shazzam,

>Would a "trainer" have a gunsight switch/icon?

The T-6/SNJ would have ... it was usually outfitted with a 7.62 mm machine gun on the starboard side of the nose, with the rear end accessible from the cockpit, for gunnery training purposes.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

And there were SNJs operated at Mojave as well. I'll go over the crash data base for that area to see if any were lost east of Mojave.

In the mean time anyone got some good T-6 cockpit photos?

Well, I think we may have to rule out the parts being from a F4U...

I just ran across this great page full of F4U cockpit panel images. One of which has an actual switch panel that has the recognition lamp switches being in it's own cluster. Plus the configuration of the switches doesn't really match the wreck's panel.

F4U Museum

I think I might need a psychic reading to figure this one out....
I have loooked at all kinds of trainers and fighters... no luck...

I think I might need a psychic reading to figure this one out....
I have loooked at all kinds of trainers and fighters... no luck...

Just let us know if you find any other part numbers. Do you live close to Mojave?

I just hit the motherlode of cockpit images at a site called U.S. Cockpits.

I was digging through there, and I noticed that the F6F and F8F Grummans have a switch panel on the right side that looks pretty close.

I know they had trainers and fighters out there (Mojave area), but didn't they also run the Avengers and Dauntless out there too?

I just hit the motherlode of cockpit images at a site called U.S. Cockpits.

I was digging through there, and I noticed that the F6F and F8F Grummans have a switch panel on the right side that looks pretty close.

I know they had trainers and fighters out there (Mojave area), but didn't they also run the Avengers and Dauntless out there too?
F6Fs and F8Fs were operated out of there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back