Nieuport-Delage 52 trivia (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the information -

LCharnes - you hear that?!? :)
Yes! That got more elaborate than I expected. Thank you, everyone.

So the operation would've been for the pilot to pump air into the starting system to get the engine to turn over?

Once the air reservoir was full, how was the system triggered?

Was the pump attachment in the cockpit (like the fuel transfer pumps in earlier aircraft) or around the cowling?

Any idea where the thread about starters is? I did a search and the the three pages of hits showed only two threads that mentioned self-starters in the summary, and they're both ancient. I know I'll have this question about other aircraft as I go along. If there's already a thread, I'd rather use that.

Interesting info here. Recently I got to have a good look around a Polikarpov Po-2, which has a similar compressed air starter system.

52029125132_9d27f2cbf2_b.jpg
_DSC5007

Here's a close-up of the air port, and note the ground power receptacle as well, out of curiosity. I have been assured they are original to the type and not an aftermarket addition.

52171605715_abf8e8e09c_b.jpg
_DSC5015

air starter diagram on NiD 62

20100311.jpg

20100310.jpg

first, if neded,, inflate the air cylinder by hand pump
open the cock (H) and check air pressure
for start, magneto 1 & 2 ON,
, push the mushroom valve (I) during 2 secondes then
turn the starter magneto until engine run.
shut the starter cock

when air cylinder inflated full pressure, six start could be run;

Last edited:
Thanks! That answers a couple of questions. It gets us back to the question: is it reasonable to assume the NiD-52 had one of these systems since the NiD-62 did?

Dramatically, this system is a mess -- by the time Our Heroine has the system pumped up, she'd be arrested or strung up from a lamppost.

I'm reminded of a Top Gear episode in which Clarkson et. al. got to direct a car chase scene in a movie. They insisted on making it entirely accurate, which included a 12-second close-up of someone activating a particular control in one of the cars. Needless to say, it was a really dull chase scene...

Thanks! That answers a couple of questions. It gets us back to the question: is it reasonable to assume the NiD-52 had one of these systems since the NiD-62 did?

Dramatically, this system is a mess -- by the time Our Heroine has the system pumped up, she'd be arrested or strung up from a lamppost.

I'm reminded of a Top Gear episode in which Clarkson et. al. got to direct a car chase scene in a movie. They insisted on making it entirely accurate, which included a 12-second close-up of someone activating a particular control in one of the cars. Needless to say, it was a really dull chase scene...
Unless it was already charged ;)

Hi.
I'm thinking yes. Based on the very similar Nieuport-Delage 62 - No.49 is described as the "Back seat parachute pack."

View attachment 672491
Now that I'm writing the scene, I noticed #47 and #48 in this diagram. Are those the shoulder straps for the parachute (#49), or part of a 3- or 4-point seat harness system? They appear to be attached to the aircraft's structure (look just below the aft cockpit coaming). If they're part of a seat harness, I can't have Our Heroine complain about the lack of a safety harness in the NiD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back