North American A-36

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WWII Aircraft Mechanics Photo Lot: Damaged P-51A Mustang, W/ Kill Marks! | eBay

1584393882572.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Resp:
This photo, along with the next three photos are actually A-36As. Note nose gun ports, but no guns. These nose guns were seen as unnecessary, so we're often removed. Their removal made engine maintenances easier.
I ask a mod if they can be moved. Thank you for the reply. Found a few new ones with nose guns. See A-36 thread.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know you're not responsible for the captions, but those look like P-51-1 cannons on the wing in front of him.
I would like to hide behind that, but cant. To big of a target. Missed the cannons :oops:

So now on this base i have seen A-36, P51 first edition, P51 later makes, P-47, P-38 , C-47, P-61, Beaufighter, a little italian bi-plane etc etc. Quite an airshow.

I ask a mod if they can be moved. Thank you for the reply. Found a few new ones with nose guns. See A-36 thread.
Reap:
A ok, as they are Allison engine Mustang variants. Note that the P-51A shared the production line at North American Aviation with A-36As.

Thank you Snautzer01 Snautzer01 for posting those photos. They are all new to me.
I'm guess they were taken in Italy...maybe spring 1943.

If anyone has any information of the camera install in the Allison engines I would love to see it.
Suspect it was a setup that could be field installed in a location near the outlet for the radiator.

Juanita

Thank you Snautzer01 Snautzer01 for posting those photos. They are all new to me.
I'm guess they were taken in Italy...maybe spring 1943.

If anyone has any information of the camera install in the Allison engines I would love to see it.
Suspect it was a setup that could be field installed in a location near the outlet for the radiator.

Juanita
Resp:
Both the RAF (1st to do so) and USAAF used their Allison engine mustangs for Foto Recon. Cameras were installed just behind the pilot, with the camera lens facing to port (left) through the rear glass side panel. The USAAF designations were F-6A and F-6B, taken from P-51-1 (-2) and P-51A Mustangs. These had the camera installed in the US, hence their redesignation as F-6A and F-6B, respectively.
The F-6A and F-6B actually used two K-24 cameras, one face to port in rear canopy panel with a second K-42 facing downwards in rear fuselage.

Last edited:
I would like to hide behind that, but cant. To big of a target. Missed the cannons :oops:

So now on this base i have seen A-36, P51 first edition, P51 later makes, P-47, P-38 , C-47, P-61, Beaufighter, a little italian bi-plane etc etc. Quite an airshow.
Resp:
If you can get a copy of the magazine "Mustangs International," Volume No. 38, Issue No. 12, Winter 2019; it covers nearly all variants of the Mustang airframes of WWII. The operations of lesser known units, their attrition rates and surprising air to air engagements (particularly by A-36As)!

Last edited:
The A-36 unit acquired some P51-1's to use for strafing targets that needed some extra punch.
Resp:
Are you sure about that? All but two P-51-1 (and -2; rumor that there were a couple of -3) were fitted with cameras and re - designated as F-6A. However, the black stenciling (under cockpit) on these F-6As was never changed from P-51-1, etc.. So since these photo Mustangs carried 4 20 MM wing cannons, it was likely F-6As were used for strafing.

I was using P-51-1 and F-6A interchangably. I'm sure the P51-1's the A-36 unit acquired were the F-6A's that were sent to that theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back