North American Aviation A-36 Manual (1 Viewer)

Baball

Airman 1st Class
177
593
Joined
Dec 26, 2018
Location
France
While looking through my P-51 manuals, I found this PFOI for the A-36 I had downloaded from Avialogs some years ago. So here it is while the site is under maintenance.
  • Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions for Army Model A-36 A-1-NA, Mar. 1943
Enjoy!
 

Attachments

Last edited:
While looking through my P-51 manuals, I found this PFOI for the A-36 Apache I had downloaded from Avialogs some years ago. So here it is while the site is under maintenance.
  • Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions for Army Model A-36 A-1-NA, Mar. 1943
Enjoy!
It is NOT an "Apache" --- it's official name was and STILL is, "Mustang" --- it DID have a WWII nickname of "Invader" (used by the pilots and groundcrew of the A-36A in the 86th FBG of the 12th AF in the MTO during WWII).

Check out this very new video that states what I've been shouting from rooftops for a LONG time (I'm even mentioned in it):


View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJwpgWUuFFI&t=723s

You're welcome!
 
As far as I'm concerned, Bill Marshall and Colin Ford say the A-36 is a Mustang. Official NAA documents insisted on the use Mustang over the USAAF's proposal for Apache (which I don't think even was intended for the A-36, but for the NA-91 Mustang IAs that the USAAF repossessed under reverse Lend Lease and became P-51s). Hence between all of that, I say the A-36 is a Mustang, and considering that it was a Mustang I with armament changes and mods to make it more suitable for dive bombing (and even some improvements that made it onto the P-51A), it's a Mustang in more than just name.

Not to mention that the only Allison Mustang fighter aces (which were officially two as far as I know) got most or all their kills with A-36s.
 
It is NOT an "Apache" --- it's official name was and STILL is, "Mustang" --- it DID have a WWII nickname of "Invader" (used by the pilots and groundcrew of the A-36A in the 86th FBG of the 12th AF in the MTO during WWII).
I mean, I'm always happy to make records straight, but no need to bring it like that, although I do get the frustration from seeing thing getting repeated wrong over and over.
 
Last edited:
Thank you!!!!!
 
A-36A Dive Bomber Article5.png
 
By the way, the A-36A guys deployed in the Med wanted to name their airplanes "Invader."
 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back