eBay: North American B-25 Mitchell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

North American Aviation NA-62, B-25 Mitchell 40-2165, first North American Aviation B-25 Mitchell medium bomber, 40-2165, at Mines Field, August 1940. The constant dihedral wing was used on the first nine airplanes built Wright R-2600-9 Archives - This Day in Aviation
North-American-Aviation-B-25-Mitchell-40-2165-front.jpg
North-American-Aviation-B-25-Mitchell-40-2165-left-rear.jpg
North-American-Aviation-B-25-Mitchell-one-of-first-nine-with-dihedral.jpg

In this thread (starting with post # 215) we've discussed the GUN GAS VENTS on some B-25s in the SWPA (or elsewhere). Photo #83 shows such vent under the nose of the airplane. Judging by the squadron emblem the above B-25J is from the 490-th BS,341-st BG., 10th AAF, CBI (the Bridge Busters).
Basically the same nose configuration as seen below:
c_oc=AQkdsRha5bibw2LgTxGi3RAMNGNlXmLvGz2XpFyipKdHQ8Q42ZiHS9Lc-WRQtoH8Ecs&_nc_ht=scontent.fykz1-1.jpg

Some of the Bridge Busters have been upgraded to more aggressive configurations:
jd_1b25-490.jpg
22_100ms.jpg

index.jpg

b29b3c2cfe0dd73edc70e87f2f23a2a2.jpg

My personal favorite is this bird (it's a G-model):
Cm4o4ZEUcAA665B.jpg

No armament is visible so I just guess at that stage this particular a/c was a squadron "hack".
And a bad day for the same bird:
index.jpg

A lot of information about the "Bridge Busters" can be found here:
Front Page
Cheers!

The text on the back of the photo is very interesting in the portion describing the take-off procedure on the short airstrip. It is kind of misleading though, because this is a PBJ-1D and it was not with the 7-th AAF but with one of the Marine Bombing Squadrons on Saipan (just a guess here: VMB 612). Characteristic are the "hose nose" - scanner housing of APS-3 radar, deleted upper turret (less weight) and modified side (waist) windows. There is a single tail gun (mod) as well. Note the HVARs. Towards the end of the war some of these a/cs have been repainted in overall dark sea blue as seen above.
Below is a photo of a PBJ-1J in a similar configuration:
d2d5d3b612acbddb9f8689e69822e3c5.jpg

P.S. I was right with my guess: it is an a/c from VMB-612. This by the way was the last active PBJ squadron. Below another comparison from Jerry Scutts' book "Marine Mitchells in WWII".
k5ZTKWA.jpg

An interesting detail with some of the PBJs - you see them often with open bomb bay doors. It was for a good reason: those planes had long range tanks installed in the bomb bay. The open doors helped to disperse the fumes.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I tend to disagree with the description of a "Pathfinder-mission" on the back of the photo. Pathfinders in bombing formations were H2X-radar equipped bombers, used during BTO-missions. In fact the PBJs of the Marines were often used for sole missions over the ocean, searching (and destroying) enemy vessels (as mentioned in the description too). That's the reason not to carry upper defensive armament (no enemy fighters in the air) and save weight for a long and lonely flight - thus the long range tank in the bomb bay.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've only seen Navy and Marine B-25s in that configuration. Not saying the Air Force didn't have them but must be a rarity. The Navy took 224 B-24Js, re-designated PBJ-1J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back