Odd P-38 canopy panels?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maxrobot1

Senior Airman
Sep 28, 2009
In this color photo, it gives the impression that there are transparent panels in front of the normal front windscreen panels. What do you think?
P-38-cockpitpil-scan0007.jpg

As memo serves that's the light trick. It was caused by the residues of a sealant material used when P-38s were shipped overseas in order to protect the airframe against the moisture that could enter the airframe during a such long trip. A couple of more shots with such traces you may see with the link below.

p38 sealing traces.jpeg

p38_.jpg

p38.jpg

p38g.jpg

the source: P-38 panel sealing tape

Dick Bong's P-38 had some odd marks. perhaps the unprotected parts weathered?

s-l1600.jpg

Dick Bong's P-38 had some odd marks. perhaps the unprotected parts weathered?

View attachment 652314

Not weathered. Just the protecting sealant that was a kind of gloss varnish made the sealed with it sourfaces looking more shiny (glossy) and a little bit darker in the B&W pics. The areas being under the protecting tape left as these were , I mean the matt. However the tape changed the tinge of the camo coat slightly making the appearance that seemed to be lighter.

Are you talking about the black border around the window framing? To me it looks like seam sealant, or it could be a rubber insert that goes in at the same time as the transparency to seal the window to prevent water ingress. That's how they do it in modern aircraft at least.

Are you talking about the black border around the window framing? To me it looks like seam sealant, or it could be a rubber insert that goes in at the same time as the transparency to seal the window to prevent water ingress. That's how they do it in modern aircraft at least.
I was referring to the area immediatly in front of the front canopy. Light can play tricks in photography.

I was referring to the area immediatly in front of the front canopy. Light can play tricks in photography.

The panel is curved, so it gives the illusion of multiple panes, yes, light can play tricks, Maxrobot1.

Another point of interest is the thick inclined slab of bulletproof glass immediately forward of the pilot's face. This cockpit photo shows it more clearly.

P-38 cockpit

That looks like afterthought engineering. I suspect the Army wanted a quick upgrade to pilot protection and there wasn't time to design a neater installation. The Grumman F6F initially had a similar arrangement, though in the Hellcat I think both pieces were forward of the gunsight. In service there were troubles due to reflections and the difficulty of cleaning the glass between the two closely spaced pieces. The second production version, the F6F-5, solved this by making the bulletproof glass do double duty as the windshield. The little curved transparency at top center of the windshield frame was deleted, and the center piece made taller. (The different windshield is however not an absolutely sure way to distinguish -3 and -5 Hellcats, since some -3 night fighters also got the improved design.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back