Oh the good ole days.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PWR4360-59B

Senior Airman
May 27, 2008
I remember as a kid, hunting around a boat launch in an area where some hydro plane out fit had a lean-too with some shelves of I think it was merlins and allisons under heavy tarps there were quite a few there too. They where very dusty and dirty, it could have all Merlins or all Allisons I didn't know the difference back then. They were probably pretty much a dime a dozen in those days. That was around the very early 60's. And in the same time period I remember a surplus store that had a few of them as well.

I ran across an add one time for old after the war surplus engines. They where low priced, well maybe not for what was earned in those days. I think you could get a brand new surplus air plane for about what a new car cost then.

While attending Bombardier School at Midland, Texas in 1944 there were 10 to 15 Stearman aircraft parked in a row at the airport. Take your pick for $250.00. All had sufficient engine time to fly them off the Base.

Isn't that something? Gosh would a time machine be nice about now.

There was an outfit in Southern California called "Long Beach Surplus" and they everything under one roof - from tents to Packard PT-Boat engines and out back of the store, they had a wide variety of vehicles: Halftracks, Ambulances, command cars - all ranging from WWII through Vietnam.

Prices back in the 70's and early 80's were stupid cheap - if only I had a time machine...

There was an outfit in Southern California called "Long Beach Surplus" and they everything under one roof - from tents to Packard PT-Boat engines and out back of the store, they had a wide variety of vehicles: Halftracks, Ambulances, command cars - all ranging from WWII through Vietnam.

Prices back in the 70's and early 80's were stupid cheap - if only I had a time machine...
If you run across that time machine get one for me too:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back