Operation Pelikan aka Projekt 14 - Stukas vs the Panama Canal (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WATU

Airman 1st Class
Sep 1, 2019
There are numerous references to this rumoured/lightly-planned operation online. They feel like a circular story to me as they mostly consist of the same paragraph summary. Several books also contain the same brief account.

Does anyone know of a primary source that relates to this?

I beleive the first mention of this, was in a post-war novel "Spy for Germany" (Spion fur Deutchland) and it's been drifting around ever since.

The problem with the "folding winged Ju87 launched from a submarine" version, is that the only submarine big enough to carry a Ju87T (assuming that any Graf Zeppelin Stukas were left by 1943), is that it would take a Japanese I-400 class sub to transport them (after modifications to the Stuka).

The Stukas could have been disassembled and transported by sub and reassembled at their destination, the Germans transported quite a few aircraft to Japan this way or transport them via cargo ship to the destination. Either way, there would need to be facilities for offloading, assembling/prep work and such.
This would be a difficult undertaking to do in total secrecy and still be within range (even one-way) of the Pacific side of the Panama Canal.

It makes for a good story, though.

Yes, that seems to be the earliest source. I did not realise the book was a novel. Smells like it is a complete fiction that endless websites have taken as fact. As you say, it is not just a matter of the aircraft. Shipping them to Japanese bases was a different matter as full engineering back-up would be there. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back