OPERATION STARKEY (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
There's a discussion going on here about this operation which I had never heard of before...Operation Starkey & Typhoon markings While the topic is Typhoons I'm more interested in the other aircraft that took part: Spitfires, Whirlwinds etc. I haven't found any good photos yet of the markings but I found this diagram here...OPERACE STARKEY, BRITSKÝ FAKE….

1549398544664.png

There is a photo of a Spitfire Mk.V but I am more interested in the Mk. IX, if there was one as I have only seen this mentioned on a decal sheet. Anyone seen photos of the Mk.IX and Whirlwind in full markings?

Nice shot of the Whirlwind, I may have to get one now. I've seen that Mk.V. These are the decals I was referring to...

1549399787212.png

...the upper left markings are supposedly for Spitfire Mk.IXc, FN-S/MA225, 331 Squadron, RAF North Weald, 1943. The aircraft also is supposedly carrying red, white and blue cannon fairings. The black-and-white stripes on the upper and lower outboard sections of each wing nearly cover the RAF roundels.

There is another set of drawings in that second link I posted showing the markings for twin engine aircraft, the stripes being 24" as opposed to 18" for single engine.

I wonder if the 64 Squadron Mk.V actually had the black markings out to the wing tips as per the "Most Secret" drawing. I certainly looks like it in your photo

It is very likely. IMHO if the two black stripes were applied why the third at the wing tips wouldn't. The Whirlwind had them painted black rather.

View attachment 528381

View attachment 528382
the pic source; Whirlwind Fighter Project

View attachment 528383
the pic source: Operation Starkey | Whirlwind Fighter Project

Hi
of interest in the link to the other page

the first photo shows the personnel with a GP 500lb bomb

i think the usual whirlwind bomb load was 2 x 250lb bombs

so maybe the starkey load was 2 x 500lb bombs

cheers
jerry

I wonder if the 64 Squadron Mk.V actually had the black markings out to the wing tips as per the "Most Secret" drawing. I certainly looks like it in your photo
An old post, but I've only just come across it...
I've just looked at the scan that I have of the original photograph (as provided by the pilot's family) & zooming it as large as I can, it certainly looks as through teh black markings go to the wingtip. The photograph is marked up as "Invasion Markings" in John Harder's photo album compiled post war

Users who are viewing this thread

Back