Operazione Canarino

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PonyOne

Airman
Mar 21, 2019
Hi all, I am looking for information on a Savoia Marchetti S.79 painted yellow or Canary. This aircraft was used as part of a new approah by the Italian Air Force in 1942 to kamikazi an aircraft into/onto an allied ship in the Mediterranean during the Operation Pedestal. This aircaft was radio controlled from a CANT Z1007 and chased by half dozen G50s for protection.
Short story is that all went well till the receiver stopped working and the SM79, causing it to crash in the Algierian mountains.

So what do I need? informtion on the aircraft, like the MM number, the squadriglia and the Gruppo, and to confirm . . . .was this a spare aircraft? or one rebuilt for this mission?
Your help is appreciated. Tom
Thank you

Hi Nick, no I hadn't. I will get on it right away. Thanks
Hi Nick, . . . not in these books. Thanks. if you can think of another database or reference materials, I appreciate it.

I don't think I have ever come across a single photograph of the S.79 A.R.P., and there is very little detailed info available in print or online.

A good webpage with some details is this one: VILLACIDRO: UN PO' DI STORIA

Regards,

Flavio
Thanks Flavio. Ok, well, I have been ready to put colour on the SM79 that Im building for a few weeks and had no luck in retrieving the colour of that Sparviero, but . . . . having second and third looks at some of the colour plates available on the Osprey Savia Marchetti S.79 Sparviero by Marco Mattioli and the colour plates by Richard Caruana (credit due where credit is due) and the aircrafts from the 278, and 283 Squadriglia Autonoma Aerosiluranti #7 and 9 The colour appears, to me anyway. Two Sparvieri have a yellow coloured band around the engine cowls. Allora cosa faccio? I am going to use my experience in using Italian colours is an attempt to interprete that colour for the S.M.79 used on this Operation, Operazione Canarino, Agosto 1942. Vi varo' sapere come esce.

Thanks Flavio. Ok, well, I have been ready to put colour on the SM79 that Im building for a few weeks and had no luck in retrieving the colour of that Sparviero, but . . . . having second and third looks at some of the colour plates available on the Osprey Savia Marchetti S.79 Sparviero by Marco Mattioli and the colour plates by Richard Caruana (credit due where credit is due) and the aircrafts from the 278, and 283 Squadriglia Autonoma Aerosiluranti #7 and 9 The colour appears, to me anyway. Two Sparvieri have a yellow coloured band around the engine cowls. Allora cosa faccio? I am going to use my experience in using Italian colours is an attempt to interprete that colour for the S.M.79 used on this Operation, Operazione Canarino, Agosto 1942. Vi varo' sapere come esce.
. . . . e cosi siamo arrivate alla fine. Ho allegato delle foto del Airfix S.M.79 appena finito, oggi stesso. Queso e' la mia interpretazione di una operazione aerea contro un nemico sul Mare Mediterraneo del 1942. non e' finita bene, pero' eravamo i primi nel uso di questa tecnologia, i primi.

Attachments

• IMG_2517.JPG
    IMG_2517.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2519.JPG
    IMG_2519.JPG
  • IMG_2526.JPG
    IMG_2526.JPG
  • IMG_2527.JPG
    IMG_2527.JPG
Looking good. :thumbright:

But English please.
sure no problem, . . . . and so we reached the end. I have attached some photos of the Airfix S.M.79 that I just finished today. This is my interpretation of an air operation against an enemy over the Mediterranean Sea in 1942. It didn't end well, but we were the first to use this technology, the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back