Opinions about using "Reeves Acrylic Colours" as an Alternative for more expensive brands? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ARTESH

Chief Master Sergeant
Aug 27, 2017
Tehran, Iran
Hey ... I have this Reeves colours remained (with some other things) from my own workshop ... It is actually the 3rd and last one that I've bought. Personally tried it on almost any surface and results were great, I'll post some pics, if I find any from my laptop and / or PC.

But as question says, have you ever tried this brand for colouring models? Is it a good alternative for more expensive brands?

If not, can you recommend some more economic brands?

IMG_20211113_013212.jpg

IMG_20211113_013219.jpg

Thank you in advance.

I'm afraid nobody here uses the Reeves Acrylic Colours. Judging by the info I found via the net these are for art students rather. But these can be used for painting of most matrials. So they should be useful. I can see two problems though. The first one - these are the basic colours. So you have to mix them in order to get the correct shade of colours. The second one .. the lack of the clear gloss and matt varnishes. Certainly you may use any other one but it should be checked if the clear coat wouldn't affect the applied dope. Also I would consider using of a primer.

I'm afraid nobody here uses the Reeves Acrylic Colours. Judging by the info I found via the net these are for art students rather. But these can be used for painting of most matrials. So they should be useful. I can see two problems though. The first one - these are the basic colours. So you have to mix them in order to get the correct shade of colours. The second one .. the lack of the clear gloss and matt varnishes. Certainly you may use any other one but it should be checked if the clear coat wouldn't affect the applied dope. Also I would consider using of a primer.
Many thanks, dear Wojtek.

After some research in Iranian sites, I found "Vallejo" colours, but the prices are too high (even for e-commerce).

Any recommendations for an alternative for Vallejo?

About the first problem, it wouldn't be a big one.

No idea regarding second problem you've mentioned, at moment. Any help or tip is welcomed.

The alternative for the Vallejo colours can be all known paint manufacturers. The Tamiya, Mr.Hobby/Gunze, Mig, Humbrol, ModelMaster/Testors, Revell and many others. Also you may check on the Hataka or the AK-interactive. But please pay your attention if these can be applied with a brush or airbrush. For instance the Hataka offeres the acrylic Blue line for applying with a brush while the Red line is for airbrushing. The Orange line colours are the lacquers

No idea regarding second problem you've mentioned, at moment. Any help or tip is welcomed.

The best clear varnish is of the same firm the paints are. However these are of the same price or even more than the cost of a single jar of a paint. Therefore many modellers use liquids used for cleaning of house floor such the Future Floor of the firm Johnson, today aslo known as the Pledge. These liquids are nothing more but the acrylic clear gloss coat. But you should be careful of such liquids because these contain the wax often.

Future.jpg
pledge.jpg

I have been using tube acrylics a lot more in the past few years as they are quite cheap and water based so mixing is easy.
I would recommend a matt oil based primer as the acrylic will then take really well.

The acrylics also lend themselves well to washes with a bit of future or one step floor wax added to pull the pigments down into
low spots - automatic shading and highlighting is the result.

Any artist publication or net info on colour mixing with acrylics is also a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back