Opinions - Comments - Chastisements

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
I have finally gotten around to finishing off my Tamiya FK Mb VI Mosquito. The paint scheme that I used called for Tamiya XF-55 (deck tan) to be used for the under surface. When I applied (airbrushing) it looked good, even and full coverage. My usual final finishing (chastisements here!) is either a spray coating of Krylon gloss or matte. In this case I used matte. I have NEVER had an issue (except on a silver painted model) with doing this. But as you can see, (maybe) from the attached, the paint for this color just turned 'blotchy'? I suppose the paint was probably just not applied thick enough? Or, this is a color from Taymia that just does this. I have, on the shelf, two other Taymia Mosquitos, different models if you will, One calls for the same under surface coloring's so I want to avoid this again. I will be more than willing to switch finish coatings if there is one that will achieve the evenness of the Krylon line? I suppose I could just claim a HalfA weathering attempt?

Attachments

• Blotchy Paint.JPG
    Blotchy Paint.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 64
I have heard that the Krylon matt could cause the trouble. Therefore I don't use such substitutes for any of used colours. If I use Humbrols I use the Humbrol clear coats, if others I use the dedicated stuff for them as well. Generally always the same brand of colours and clear varnish. Therefore I would switch to the Tamiya clear coats if I applied the Tamiya colours.
However , your model is almost finished and all you can do is to apply another clear coat but it should be varnish without the Toluene and Acetone.
It should help and the effect of the blotchy finish should disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back