P-38 or Mosquito?

Which was better?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

interestingly though as the mossie got heavier it had little to do with the change in engine weight, most of it was due to the equiptment carried............

the lancaster kicks ass said:
interestingly though as the mossie got heavier it had little to do with the change in engine weight, most of it was due to the equiptment carried............

Same for the P-38. As the engine(s) gets more powerful the weight tends to increase because the engines can support it. The engines themselves generally don't get much heavier unless the displacement is changed or the engines are changed (such as merlin -> griffon).

Internal fuel in the P-38J/L was good for about 1,100 miles. The max range is cited in the 2,200-2,600mi is with 2x300gal drop tanks. It's interesting to note these range figures are high rpm/low manifold/medium pitch props as per AAF procedures. Lindberg showed that low rpm/higher manifold pressure/corse prop was good enough to strech the fuel to 3,000mi. Beyond the endurance of the pilots.

Sorry, i can't let this go un-answered.
lesofprimus wrote

I dont think theres any proof to that one... Sounds far fetched to me....
Nonskimmer

I have to agree. How could a plane the size of the Mossie possibly take the same bomb load as a B-17? Confused
Or am I missing something obvious, again? Wouldn't be the first time.
The B-17E could only carry a total bomb load of 4000lbs. A variant of the mosquito could carry a 4000lb single bomb, called the 'cookie.'
It's often said the Mosquito could shut down one engine and still carry the 'cookie' without falling out of the sky.

Lightning Guy wrote

I've never heard of a Mossie dive-bombing. But without the counter-rotating props it wouldn't have been as stable as the Lightning. P-38 better dive-bomber.

Well, if it couldn't dive bomb, it was sure accruate.

Ummm... where do you get that figure from? First off, of the approximately 500 B-17E's bulit most were deployed to the Pacific, though about 45 were given to the RAF, designated the "Fortress IIa", and they did indeed complain the bombload was insufficient. Both the B-17E and the B-17F arrived for US use in Europe in the summer of 1942 and the few E models were used mostly for training. The B-17F had a internal bomb capacity of 9600 lbs, normal bombload was 4000-6000 lbs at ranges exceeding 1400 miles (each way), max bombload was 20,800 pounds with external racks for short ranges. Range was about 2100 miles (each way) with about a 5000 lbs bombload. The B-17G arrived about 6 months later and had a slightly smaller bombload capacity, 4000-6000 lbs still being normal depending on range, and 17600 lbs load with external racks for short ranges.

The Mosquito of the same time, the B Mk IV Series II, which was fitted for the 4000 lbs bomb, had an operational radius of 535 miles. Hardly comparable to the B-17F/G.

Mossies mostly specialized in striking command positions, usually Villa's and the like. They would come in low and drop slightly delayed fuse bombs right into the front door of the target. They genrally did not attack the same kind of targets the B-17 or even the medium bombers attacked. The definition of "hitting" and "destroying" the target were also quite different. So this is really comparing apples and watermelons.

=S=

Lunatic

Actually the Mosquito did bomb to complete destruction in most cases. Only in the famous raids, like Ameins, were they given the precise area to strike. Most of their raids, they were told which buildings to strike and given all targetted buildings were destroyed it was a direct hit.

Much more efficient than any heavy bomber. They complimented one another well. I also already stated long ago that the Mosquito could carry the same as the B-17 while the Mosquito was on a short mission, and the B-17 was on a long mission.

yes.. i completely agree with you. above that, the mosquito didnt have enought punch to take out an building by itself, but once the building was already cracked, its attacks were devestating

and it doesnt really matters what plane was heavier, the mossie was the fastest propellor plane of ww2, and it as as maneuverable as the lightning. i think thats says enough ^^

No, you mis-read my post. I was stating that Mosquitos didn't area bomb, they attack individual buildings. I can assure you the pay load on a Mosquito was more than enough to destroy a building.

plan_D said:
No, you mis-read my post. I was stating that Mosquitos didn't area bomb, they attack individual buildings. I can assure you the pay load on a Mosquito was more than enough to destroy a building.

not enough to destroy a building thats worth a raid, cuz they were protected y flack. so the mosquito had to fly 2 or 3 attacks b4 the building was destroyed, and they would be shot down. thats my point.
but indeed, i mis-read your post
it wasnt areal bombing.

FlaK is certainly deadly to all aircraft but the Mosqutio coming in low and fast would have certainly gained the advantage of shock and surprise over the FlaK gunners.
In the Amiens raid, they only lost one Mosquito which fell to a swarm of -190s.

RG_Lunatic wrote:
You really need to take off your blinkers
I'm stating a comparison between a un-armed two engine- two man aircraft, against a heavely armed four engine- ten man crew bomber....That carried the same bomb load. Do the sums. That's why the Mosquito is good.

In the Amiens raid, they only lost one Mosquito which fell to a swarm of -190s.
This was only because the C/O done an orbit of a crashed aircraft and was bounced..IRC, more then one were lost.

I also already stated long ago that the Mosquito could carry the same as the B-17 while the Mosquito was on a short mission, and the B-17 was on a long mission.
No, the 'Mossie' could go to Berlin no problem...Sometimes twice in one night!

Yes, Harris described the Mossie raids to Berlin as just 'stoking the fires'.

Not something the German nightfighter squadrons would agree with.

Users who are viewing this thread