P-38 Pilots Operating flight manual

warbird51

Airman
84
115
Joined
Sep 18, 2018
I was visiting a long time friend and we were talking about P-38's. He pulled out this manual on the P-38 flight operating instructions and it had some interesting autographs. It was signed by Clarence, Kelly Johnson, Ben, Kelsey, and Tony LeVier. He said he was at a conference in the late 60s and early 70s about P 38, and the three were there giving talks. Afterward, he was able to take his manual that he brought with him and got all three to autograph it. Pretty cool!!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
I was visiting a long time friend and we were talking about P-38's. He pulled out this manual on the P-38 flight operating instructions and it had some interesting autographs. It was signed by Clarence, Kelly Johnson, Ben, Kelsey, and Tony LeVier. He said he was at a conference in the late 60s and early 70s about P 38, and the three were there giving talks. Afterward, he was able to take his manual that he brought with him and got all three to autograph it. Pretty cool!!!
Same one I've got. But no signatures. Rats! I was at that same conference, too!
 
The owner of the signed manual used to own 2 P-38L's
As did I. We were a very small group, so I probably know him. What is his name?
 
I talk to him weekly.
Please tell him hello for me. Bill Padden. My company was Air-Tech West in Burbank CA.
 
That looks good! Another rare bird. Hope to see this one fly!
Unfortunately, someone else will have to finish it. Bruce doesn't have the hangar space or the funds required to finish the P-63E. And I am retired from warbird restoration . It's pretty much complete.
 
Unfortunately, someone else will have to finish it. Bruce doesn't have the hangar space or the funds required to finish the P-63E. And I am retired from warbird restoration . It's pretty much complete.
That's too bad. The P-63 was the airplane the P-39 should have been, but too late in the war. The US didn't fly the P-63, as far as I know, so museum interest in acquisition might be lacking. But it is a rare bird. Bruce probably has thought of this but I would contact Steve Hinton at Chino CA - Fighter Rebuilders, I think his company is called. He would know where every WW2 plane is, or has been rebuilt in the world, since most of them call on him to make the first flight. Also, Jerry Yagen at Military Aviation Museum in Virginia, and Fagen Fighters in Granite Falls, MN. These two museums actively acquire and FLY their aircraft, as opposed to static display. These three would know who has the interest and the funds to complete the work.
 
That's too bad. The P-63 was the airplane the P-39 should have been, but too late in the war. The US didn't fly the P-63, as far as I know, so museum interest in acquisition might be lacking. But it is a rare bird. Bruce probably has thought of this but I would contact Steve Hinton at Chino CA - Fighter Rebuilders, I think his company is called. He would know where every WW2 plane is, or has been rebuilt in the world, since most of them call on him to make the first flight. Also, Jerry Yagen at Military Aviation Museum in Virginia, and Fagen Fighters in Granite Falls, MN. These two museums actively acquire and FLY their aircraft, as opposed to static display. These three would know who has the interest and the funds to complete the work.
Like most stuff, it's for sale, but not for sale. I have been in the restoration business for 40+ years and know pretty much who to contact when Bruce decides to part with it. He is just not ready yet. I wish I could work on it, but not having the room to continue the restoration is frustrating for me. I crewed Unlimiteds at Reno from 1985 to 2023 and my dream would be for our crew to finish the P-63 for Bruce. But we are scattered across 3 states, so not possible.😢
 
Like most stuff, it's for sale, but not for sale. I have been in the restoration business for 40+ years and know pretty much who to contact when Bruce decides to part with it. He is just not ready yet. I wish I could work on it, but not having the room to continue the restoration is frustrating for me. I crewed Unlimiteds at Reno from 1985 to 2023 and my dream would be for our crew to finish the P-63 for Bruce. But we are scattered across 3 states, so not possible.😢
That sounds like Bruce, as I recall him. He obviously has all the good advice he needs, so I'll leave it to them. Bruce Pruett typifies the few idealists who live a dream of owning and flying, or seeing it fly, a WW2 combat aircraft. Like Mike Kellner, who has spent over 30 years rebuilding a B-17 in a barn in Illinois. Without these guys, working through unbelievable obstacles, financial and parts availability among others, we would never see these planes again in their element. More power to them!
 
That sounds like Bruce, as I recall him. He obviously has all the good advice he needs, so I'll leave it to them. Bruce Pruett typifies the few idealists who live a dream of owning and flying, or seeing it fly, a WW2 combat aircraft. Like Mike Kellner, who has spent over 30 years rebuilding a B-17 in a barn in Illinois. Without these guys, working through unbelievable obstacles, financial and parts availability among others, we would never see these planes again in their element. More power to them!
Talked to Bruce last night. He remembers you and your buisness. He said you had more P-38 stuff that you would have liked to buy , but couldn't afford at the time. He said to say hi.
 
Talked to Bruce last night. He remembers you and your buisness. He said you had more P-38 stuff that you would have liked to buy , but couldn't afford at the time. He said to say hi.
:)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back