P-40 E "Arizona" antenna mast?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

M.A.

Recruit
Aug 20, 2014
Hi All,
Had this plane the antenna mast or the wires running from the fin to the wing tips? I didn't find any of her wartime pictures showing this detail. The beautifully restored one has the antenna mast .
Any suggestion?
thx in advance.
M.A.

I would say the kite didn't had the antenna mast like all of P-40Es. The antenna wire was running from the tip of the fin to the wingtips. The antenna mast appered with F-5 version of the Warhawk, as memo serves..

My pleasure.

Here is a pic showing other P-40Es of the 9th FS. Any of them didn't have the antenna mast.

P-40E 9th Sqdn.jpg

the pic source: 9th Fighter Squadron

The Tomahawk I's acquired by the RAF did not have an antenna mast but had antenna wires running from the tip of the fin to the wingtips. They found that this installation resulted in the antenna insulators being placed in just the right spot for the pilot to catch them out of the corner of his eye and think they were an aircraft about to get in his "Six." Needless to say, this was quite unpopular.

The Tomahawk I's acquired by the RAF did not have an antenna mast but had antenna wires running from the tip of the fin to the wingtips. They found that this installation resulted in the antenna insulators being placed in just the right spot for the pilot to catch them out of the corner of his eye and think they were an aircraft about to get in his "Six." Needless to say, this was quite unpopular.

Thx a lot.
M.A.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back