I know very well what happened in N Africa and the Med. I was making a point, which you failed to grasp - that is, that if the Bf109 had been flown with inferior tactics, it would have also fared poorly.
I recommend interested parties to buy and read the three part series A History of thee Mediterranean Air War by Shores.
Amazon product ASIN 190916612XView: https://www.amazon.com/History-Mediterranean-Air-1940-1945-Vol/dp/190916612X/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z4M6EWP5NTQ82SJVKJCP
Contrary to popular opinion, it seems, the P40 had its fair share of kills. Including against Bf109s. You will not find a more complete and thorough history of mission outcomes than in that series above. In it you will find the Luftwaffe had the best of it, but they were certainly not immune to gunfire and the odd circumstance of being bounced... have fun reading.
By the way, don't forget Sicily and Italy.
Controlability refers to the incredible stiffness the Bf109's controls developed as it approached Vne. The aircraft took 50-60 lbs of lateral force to move the stick at high speeds with less than 2" elbow room in the cockpit. Something which I've rarely seen discussed here and which surely affected any kind of high speed maneuver with the aircraft. Well-balanced controls - yes. Light - no, and increasingly stiff at high speed. The P40 on the other hand, while requiring a lot of rudder at high speeds, was able to be controlled in roll and pitch relatively easily and well.
Not to mention, the Bf109 had an issue in a dive where the aircraft became increasingly nose pitch down as the speed increased. For this reason the manual for the a/c required up trim before starting a dive, at the risk of not being able to pull out.
As for USAAF philosophy, I will give some examples of what I mean:
- designing for long TBO service intervals (Allison TBO was meant to be double that of DB or Merlin, IIRC)
- restricting full power from engines (the v1710-39 Allison was not cleared for 56" manifold pressure until late in the P40E lifespan... yes, check the technical documents)
- long range from its aircraft (range on fully fueled, internal fuel only P40 had a range of nearly 700mi -- Allisons were known to run well at lean settings, something the Merlins could not do and which was not an option on the Db60x series)
- and others including regs for long distance navigation, radios, provisions for mounting long-range internal fuel tanks, provisions for self-sealing tanks, etc...
And the turbo-supercharger was never used successfully on any single engine water cooled fighter the USAAF produced. How can that be a "philosophy" is beyond me. However, a bureaucratic philosophy revolving around red tape and manifold service requirements counts...
BTW, P51 was possibly available in quantity sooner than P40F or other late 1943 models...
I realize some people don't want to hear this and want to have their favorite without looking at the full picture. Yes, I would also prefer to fight in a faster, smaller, better climbing aircraft with centerline guns. Especially if the fuel ran out so quick it meant I wouldn't have to stay in it too long.
