P-40B/C Kittyhawk or Warhawk?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daveT

Senior Airman
What is the correct designation for the P-40 B and C models in U.S. service?
Was it Kittyhawk or was it Warhawak? Or was it just Hawk?

I know the later models were called Warhawks
I know the British called some models Kittyhawks

Also What calibre guns did the P-40B/C have? All 30 cal or did the early model P-40B/C have a mix of both 30 and 50 Cal machine guns?

ALOHA
and thanks in advance for any information about this?
DaveT

From Wiki...

P-40 Warhawk was the name the United States Army Air Corps adopted for all models, making it the official name in the United States for all P-40s. The British Commonwealth and Soviet air forces used the name Tomahawk for models equivalent to the P-40B and P-40C, and the name Kittyhawk for models equivalent to the P-40D and all later variants.

Geo

P-40B - 2x12,7mm (.50) MGs at the top of the engine cowling, 4x7,62mm (.30) MGs in wings. The RAF Tomahawk Mk.IIA - 2x12,7mm (.50) MGs and 4x7.7mm (.303) British MGs in wings.

P-40C and the RAF Tomahawk Mk.IIB - 2x12,7mm (.50) MGs at the top of the engine cowling, 4x7,62mm (.30) MGs in wings.

Perhaps interest here has died out, but by my understanding:
Up through the P-40C, the US military did not have a name to go with the P-40 series of aircraft.
They were all just P-40's.
The British called them Tomahawks.
When the P-40D (very few manufactured), the British gave it the name Kittyhawk and US finally gave the entire series the name "Warhawk".

- Ivan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back