P-47D-22-RE with Hamilton Standard props

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, I forgot about the -4 Corsairs having the "C" series engine and the P47D's still using the "B" series. I also have only found information on the D-22's having the HS prop from the factory. My understanding is that a lot of P47 production data was discarded by Republic after the war, so we may not ever know for sure exactly what propeller was installed on each P47 series from the two factories. For instance, I have never heard of the hydraulic HS prop coming from the Evansville In. (RA) plant, but that doesn't mean it never happened.

There is almost nothing a man can be certain of with these subjects. Yet, there is no information saying else. I mean, I never met it. And that is as far as I would dare to go. HS prop for Corsair U-4 was different. The hub had to fit to '60' spline, as C-series engine was used there. I have never compared the blades in these types of propellers, so I don't know, maybe they were the same or interchangeable. Obviously HS had their hands full of work anyway building large amount of screws for multiple types of aircraft.
The P-47 H/S blade was the 6507A-2, the same series of blade, the 6507A-0 was used in the 23E50 propeller as used on the C-54/DC-4, the F4U, the TBF/TBM, the F4U-4 used the 6507A-2 blade, so this is a lot of aircraft using that blade.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that the Curtiss Electric props came in two versions on the P-47: symmetrical and assymetrical.

Does anyone know which version(s) would have been mounted on the P-47D-22-RE?

Still having in mind these two versions are simplification, as there were variants of asymmetrical blades. It would have been a matter of availability. You can exclude asymmetrical for some time period maybe - these appeared a bit later then symmetrical ones, but in the end You would have to relay on pictures of the very aircraft.
I doubt HS props ever been used in Evansville. Too much logistic havoc with limited deliveries. It seems like HS was temporary solution before CE could come with full power production of their paddleblades. Just a guess, no references for that. I can imagine a couple of HS screws sent to Evansville for some try outs, this kind of action was practised by the producers of the time. But I wouldn't expect anything on mass scale.

Still having in mind these two versions are simplification, as there were variants of asymmetrical blades. It would have been a matter of availability. You can exclude asymmetrical for some time period maybe - these appeared a bit later then symmetrical ones, but in the end You would have to relay on pictures of the very aircraft.
I doubt HS props ever been used in Evansville. Too much logistic havoc with limited deliveries. It seems like HS was temporary solution before CE could come with full power production of their paddleblades. Just a guess, no references for that. I can imagine a couple of HS screws sent to Evansville for some try outs, this kind of action was practised by the producers of the time. But I wouldn't expect anything on mass scale.
Here is an image for a document that has been on this web site, it is not my document but I have attached the image copy for public interest.
1610204511878.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back